11 C
London
Wednesday, February 28, 2024

Julia Przyłębska and the dispute over her term as president of the Constitutional Tribunal. Michal Wojcik comments

Must read

- Advertisement -


Michał Wójcik from Solidarna Polska, a minister in the Chancellery of the Prime Minister, referring to the situation in the Constitutional Tribunal in “Kropka nad i” on TVN24, said that “this is an internal dispute”. “We have nothing to do with it,” he said. When asked who, in his opinion, is the current president of the Tribunal, he replied: – We believe that Julia Przyłębska is the person who actually and formally holds this function.

There is an ongoing dispute over the term of office of the president of the Constitutional Tribunal, Julia Przyłębska. At the end of 2022, some lawyers, including former judges of the Constitutional Tribunal, indicated that the term of office of President Julia Przyłębska expires after six years, i.e. on December 20, 2022, and that she will not be able to apply for this function again. Also, six of the 15 current judges of the Constitutional Tribunal (Wojciech Sych, Jakub Stelina, Mariusz Muszyński, Andrzej Zielonacki, Zbigniew Jędrzejewski and Bogdan Święczkowski) are of the opinion that the term of office of the current president has come to an end and demand that the General Assembly of the judges of the Constitutional Tribunal be convened and candidates selected appoints a new president.

READ MORE ON THE KONKRET24 PORTAL: Legal stalemate, rebellion and paragraph 22. Can the crisis in the Constitutional Tribunal be resolved? Analysis

Wójcik on the situation in the Constitutional Tribunal: this is an internal dispute

This case was commented on in “Kropka nad i” on TVN24 by Michał Wójcik, minister at the Prime Minister’s Office, representative of the party Zbigniew Ziobro Solidarity Poland.

- Advertisement -

He assessed that “this is an internal dispute that is pending in the Constitutional Tribunal, an independent institution, such disputes have also taken place in the past.”

READ MORE: Behind the scenes of the Przyłębska vote. Onet: two judges withdrew, there was no quorum >>>

At the same time, he stated that “this dispute is sort of next to the Ministry of Justice.” – We have nothing to do with it, because it is known that this is more the president’s area – he added. To the moderator’s remark that one of the current members of the Constitutional Tribunal, Bogdan Święczkowski, was previously a close associate of Zbigniew Ziobro and a national prosecutor, Wójcik replied: – Everyone meets someone somewhere along the way, it’s obvious, he never distanced himself from it, as Mr Ziobro.

Wójcik: We believe that Julia Przyłębska is the president

Michał Wójcik was asked who, in his opinion, is the president of the Constitutional Tribunal today. – We believe that Julia Przyłębska he is the person who actually and formally performs this function, but it would be good if this dispute ended – he replied.

To the leading remark that some judges of the Tribunal believe that Przyłębska’s term of office has come to an end, he replied that “this proves a very far-reaching legal dispute”. – You have to remember that there are expert opinions of different lawyers. There are expert opinions saying that the term of office ended in December, others – that only in 2024, i.e. when the judge retires – added Wójcik.

Wójcik: it was obvious that the prosecutor’s office would take care of this case

The Warsaw prosecutor’s office decided to initiate an investigation into the suspicion that e-mail correspondence exchanged by the then head of the Chancellery of the Prime Minister, Michał Dworczyk, with his defense advisor, Colonel Krzysztof Gaj state secrets, including those protected by the highest “top secret” clause, were revealed.

– An investigation has been launched. It didn’t happen yesterday or two days ago – commented in “Kropka nad i” Wójcik. He added that the investigation was launched “at least some time ago”. – It was probably the week of February 20-27, something in those days – he said.

A representative of Solidarna Polska stated that “it is not known whether it is true that procedures have been broken by sending classified information (…) which should not be sent without security, because there is a separate regulation”. – Whether this was really the case, we do not know, the prosecutor’s office must check it – he added.

The minister at the Prime Minister’s Office also said that “the prosecutor’s office is the host of the proceedings, not journalists, and it will be the prosecutors who will assess – taking into account various circumstances, documents, evidence – whether there is really a basis for bringing charges or not and whether it is true.” .

At the same time, he stated that “it was obvious” that the prosecutor’s office would look into the case. – The prosecutor’s office conducts checks, this is the first stage, and prosecutors came to the conclusion that an investigation should be launched. Which does not mean that it is equivalent to claiming that a crime has been committed. More steps need to be taken, of course. I see no reason why it should be argued that this is already true, that this or that has been done. We don’t know that, he said.

Main photo source: TVN24



Source link

More articles

- Advertisement -

Latest article