5.9 C
London
Tuesday, December 7, 2021

Koszalin. Prosecutor’s office investigation after the collapse of the viaduct on Monte Cassino Avenue

Must read

- Advertisement -


The prosecutor’s office is examining whether the investors and contractors of the demolition of the viaduct in Koszalin (Zachodniopomorskie Province), which collapsed on Thursday, did not endanger the health or life of the city’s residents. Construction works will be suspended for the time being.

Ryszard Gąsiorowski from the District Prosecutor’s Office in Koszalin informed that prosecutors are investigating the collapse of the viaduct on Monte Cassino Avenue in Koszalin. The investigation is conducted with a view to bringing down a commonly dangerous event, i.e. Article 163 of the Penal Code.

As Gąsiorowski noted, everything indicates that no one was killed in the crash. One parked car was damaged. Witnesses were not supposed to see anyone under the viaduct during the collapse, and thermographic examinations did not show that there were any people under the debris. It collapsed during the forging of one of the spans.

Investigation in the case, construction work suspended

The prosecutor said that the investigation was conducted very extensively. – After the inspection, we interviewed witnesses in the persons of construction managers and excavator operators and the lady whose car was damaged – reported Gąsiorowski.

- Advertisement -

Recordings of the moment of the event will be secured. The prosecution also asks witnesses to report to the police.

– The situation is quite unusual, because the disaster took place at the construction site. Therefore, we will be examining the way the works will be carried out and the construction security, the prosecutor said. And he added that it was about the way of fencing off the area and securing it against outsiders.

As the prosecutor informed, the investigation is currently underway in the case. No one was charged. Intentionally causing a catastrophe is punishable by 10 years in prison, for unintentional – five years.

Demolition works will be suspended for the time being. They may be resumed after a positive decision of the building inspection.

A recording of the collapse of a part of the viaduct in KoszalinGrzegorz K. from Koszalin

It collapsed before demolition

Part of the disassembled viaduct on al. Monte Cassino in Koszalin collapsed on Thursday after 4 pm. At that time, there was a storm.

The viaduct was closed to traffic since March last year due to the risk of collapse. It was about to be dismantled.

The press officer of the Koszalin police, commissioner Monika Kosiec informed on Thursday evening that a vehicle that had already been parked under the structure had been damaged. Fortunately, there was no one in the car.

The deputy president of Koszalin for economic affairs, Andrzej Kierzek, informed journalists that the demolition works of the viaduct were to be carried out successively, therefore Batalionów Chłopskich Street was open to pedestrians and vehicles. The closure of this part of the route was planned in the following days, for a maximum of one and a half days.

SEE PICTURES OF THE DAMAGED MESSAGE AT CONTACT24 >>>

Collapsed viaduct in KoszalinTVN24

“The bridge folded faster than the contractor had anticipated”

In June, a contractor was selected to take on the demolition of the viaduct, design a new one and build it. The tender was won by a consortium of two companies with the leader of INTOP Skarbimierzyce, which undertook to complete the task for nearly PLN 35.9 million. The demolition of the structure began a few days ago.

– The bridge collapsed faster than the contractor expected. The contractor had the entire demolition project approved, the traffic organization and everything was implemented in accordance with these documents, and life has shown otherwise – said Kierzek. He stated that the representatives of the contractor were not present at the press conference, as the prosecutor detained the works manager and the construction manager for clarification.

Deputy director of the Road and Transport Authority in Koszalin, Marcin Żełabowski, said that “when the construction site is handed over, with the approved traffic organization, all activities and responsibilities are transferred to the site manager”.

He added that the contractor carried out the demolition in accordance with the adopted technology. It was supposed to assure that “these objects are dismantled in this way: individual spans are successively chained”.

Part of the viaduct has collapsed.  A piece of construction fell to the street

Part of the viaduct has collapsed. A piece of construction fell to the streetNews Koszalińskie / TVN24

This is what the viaduct looked like before it collapsed

Main photo source: TVN24



Source link

More articles

- Advertisement -

Latest article