The faulty drainage system was the reason why one of the terraces of the 18th-century Zamoyski Palace in Kozłówka (Lubelskie) was strongly damp. It is now a thing of the past.
The palace in Kozłówka was erected in the years 1736-1742 by the Chełmno voivode and the starost of Sztum, Michał Bieliński. In 1799 the property was bought by Aleksander Zamoyski, a representative of one of the most famous Polish families.
The residence experienced its greatest splendor during the times of Konstanty Zamoyski, who in the years 1897-1909 rebuilt and expanded the Kozłówka complex. The palace then gained, among others towers and terraces. On one of the latter, namely the southern terrace, restoration works were completed in November.
They protected against moisture and repaired the cornices
– Due to the defective drainage system, the terrace was very damp – says Dr. Dariusz Kopciowski, Lublin Voivodship Conservator of Monuments.
The repair work program included, among others removing from the floor, making a damp-proof membrane and carrying out conservation and repair works within the area of the cornice crowning the terrace.
– The investor, that is the Zamoyski Museum in Kozłówka, carried out the above-mentioned works as part of a task co-financed by the Ministry of Culture and National Heritage – emphasizes the conservator.
Earlier, they discovered bottles with over a century-old wine
In June, we also wrote about other works carried out on the premises of the palace complex. As Dr. Kopciowski told us then, the most impressive of the renovated buildings is the northern annex, erected at the turn of the 19th and 20th centuries, where, during renovation, a boiler was excavated, which was part of the heating system of the palace chapel years ago.
Much earlier because in 2019, 15 bottles of wine were also found in the same cellarthat had been in the ground for over a hundred years. On the basis of the caps preserved on the corks, it was possible to establish that, among others, from the French vineyards of Château Branaire-Ducru and Cantenac Médoc.
The works were carried out on the premises of the Zamoyski Museum in Kozłówka
Main photo source: Shutterstock