3.6 C
London
Tuesday, February 27, 2024

London’s decision to deport to Rwanda. Media: Prince Charles “disappointed”

Must read

- Advertisement -


British authorities have signed an agreement with the Rwandan government under which newly arrived immigrants to the UK will be able to be sent back to this African country. The first such deportation flight is scheduled for next Tuesday. As reported on Saturday in The Times, Prince Charles called the government’s plans “frightening” in a private interview.

On Friday, the UK’s High Court approved Tuesday’s 31-man flight to be operated, although their lawyers said they would appeal to an appeals court on Monday.

Under an agreement concluded in April, immigrants caught trying to enter illegally Great Britain can be sent back to Rwandawhere they can apply for asylum in this African country. The British government is hoping to stop the growing tide of smugglers from smuggling in small boats and dinghies across the English Channel. Since the beginning of this year, more than 10,000 people have passed this way, of which up to 90 percent are adult males. So far, the authorities have provided information about the planned deportation to as many as 130 people.

Prince Charles “disappointed” with the government’s strategy

Agreement with Rwanda however, it is very controversial. As revealed by “The Times”, the heir to the throne also expressed a critical opinion about it. Prince Charles in private he was supposed to say he was “disappointed” with the government’s strategy and that the plans to send immigrants were “appalling.”

- Advertisement -

Charles, Prince of Wales with his wife CamillaToby Melville / PA / PAP

According to the convention, British royal family it is neutral in political matters and does not comment on government policy. The newspaper adds that Prince Charles is particularly frustrated by this, because he is expected to represent the queen in June at the Commonwealth leaders’ meeting to be held in Rwanda’s capital, Kigali. A spokesman for the heir to the throne did not deny reports that such words had actually been spoken, although he stressed that the prince did not try to influence the government. – We do not comment on alleged anonymous private conversations with the prince Wales, other than repeating that it remains politically neutral. Policy decisions belong to the government, the spokesman said.

Main photo source: Toby Melville / PA / PAP



Source link

More articles

- Advertisement -

Latest article