Students of the VI Liceum Ogólnokształcące im. Hugo Kołłątaj in Lublin do not receive unsatisfactory grades during the school year. Instead, the electronic journal puts “X’s”, which – if the student improves – turns into grades from two to six. Students say that this helps them feel less stressed at school and are more motivated to learn. Especially after months of lockdown and distance learning.
– It is known that the second semester of the 2019/20 school year and the entire 2020/21 school year were particularly stressful for students. The protracted lockdown made many people fearful of returning to classroom teaching. So we decided to do everything to eliminate this fear. After consulting with parents and students, it turned out that the latter stress the most when they receive failing grades. Hence, from September 1, during the implementation of the core curriculum, we do not place 1s – says Marzena Kamińska, director of the VI Liceum Ogólnokształcące im. Hugo Kołłątaj in Lublin.
If the teacher believes that the student deserves an unsatisfactory grade, he / she does not enter any grade in the electronic journal for a given card or test.
The forms of student assessment may be modified during the school year
– In the empty places there are only ‘x’s’, which turn into two, three, four, five or six, when the student masters a given scope of the material – emphasizes the headmistress.
What if the student had X’s from top to bottom?
– Of course, he wouldn’t be promoted to the next grade. According to the law, at the end of the semester we have grades from one to six. Which does not mean that during the implementation of the material, we cannot modify the form of student assessment, which we do – smiles our interlocutor.
“I was looking forward to September”
– Someone may say that the change is purely cosmetic, but in my case it certainly is not – comments Kacper Gorzel, a third-grade student. – One tells me that something is wrong, that I can’t do something. On the other hand, “ik” only informs me that a given batch of material is failed and that it needs to be changed – emphasizes the student.
Maria Luterek from the first class has similar feelings. – When I see “X”, I have a motivation for a good assessment to appear in its place. On the other hand, when there was one in the journal, there were such thoughts that there was no point in correcting it. Which sometimes discouraged people from learning a given subject – he explains.
She also admits that when she found out about the withdrawal of ones, it was easier for her to return to school after lockdown.
– In my case it was exactly the same. It was said that the evaluation system would change before the summer holidays. I was looking forward to September to see how it all turned out. And it works perfectly – assures Kacper.
VI High School is located in Lublin at ul. Mickiewicza 36
Main photo source: VI Liceum Ogólnokształcące im. Hugo Kołłątaj in Lublin