First, wooden beams, then concrete ceilings and walls. Such a discovery was discovered by workers on the construction site of a block of flats in the center of Lublin. It turned out to be the remains of an underground shelter built by the Germans during World War II. There were also bottles of mineral water produced in Germany and the Czech Republic in the ground, as well as remains of ammunition fired from German and Soviet weapons.
– The facility consisted of a staircase and underground corridors extending from it with concrete walls and ceilings enclosed with wooden beams. The tunnels were dug in the loess using the mining method, says Dr. Dariusz Kopciowski, Lublin Voivodship Conservator of Monuments.
The discovery was made at the construction site of the block at 10 Spokojna Street in Lublin, during the excavation for the underground garage. Elements of the structure began to emerge as early as seven meters from the ground.
Water bottles produced in Germany and the Czech Republic
– As a result of the undertaken archaeological research, the following was captured: a corridor running north towards the Czechówka valley over a section of about seven meters, a corridor running westwards over a section of about five meters and a southern corridor – exposed for a length of about 20 meters, from which another tunnel diverges to the west, splitting into the western and northern part – reports the conservator.
There were also, among others, in the ground numerous bottles of mineral water produced in Germany and the Czech Republic, as well as remains of ammunition fired from German and Soviet weapons, which indicates that there were direct clashes between Wehrmacht and Red Army soldiers in the tunnels in 1944.
In April, two skeletons of Wehrmacht soldiers were also found here
– Further construction works and the accompanying archaeological research may reveal the continuation of the tunnels in the western part of the plot covered by the investment and will answer the question whether the underground bunker was connected to the German trenches constituting the external reinforcement of the slope – emphasizes Dr. Kopciowski.
This is not the first archaeological discovery on this construction site. In April, two skeletons of Wehrmacht soldiers were discovered here, among which were found, among others buttons, a helmet, parts of the uniform, and one “dog tag”. A lot of ammunition was also found in the excavation, which proves that in 1944 intense shelling was carried out from here.
The discovery was made at 10 Spokojna Street in Lublin, on the site of the former clothing and textile school complex