After a gas explosion, a single-family house in Małżyn (Świętokrzyskie Voivodeship) collapsed. Emergency services rescued a 49-year-old man from the rubble of the building. The injured person was taken to hospital in a serious condition.
The emergency services received information about the accident on Sunday (October 15) before 6 a.m. The report showed that a single-family house collapsed in the town of Malżyn in the Lipnik commune, probably as a result of a gas explosion.
“The police were the first to arrive at the scene and heard a cry for help from the rubble that had turned into a single-story house. After a while, together with firefighters, they reached a 49-year-old man,” midshipman Katarzyna Czesna-Wójcik, press officer of the District Police Headquarters in Abbots.
He turned on the stove and there was an explosion
The 49-year-old was handed over to the ambulance crew and then taken to the hospital in Sandomierz. Doctors described his condition as serious.
“The police’s first findings show that the man installed a new cylinder on Saturday. The installation was most likely not tight. Gas was leaking and accumulating in the building. When the 49-year-old wanted to turn on the stove to prepare breakfast on Sunday morning, an explosion occurred” – noted asp. Czesna-Wójcik.
The building completely collapsed
The building was completely destroyed and construction supervision was called to the site. Senior Captain Sebastian Saramański, press officer of the Opatów firefighters, noted that the place was completely cleared of debris to make sure that no one else was in the building.
Six fire brigades from the Volunteer Fire Department and the State Fire Service were involved in the rescue operation.
Main photo source: KPP in Opatów