During the march in Kalisz (Greater Poland Voivodeship), people who made anti-Semitic speeches were not detained. A spokesman for the Greater Poland Police explains that the matter was consulted “with a prosecutor who did not make a decision about the need to arrest”. On Sunday, the prosecutor’s office issued a statement in which it assured that the police were not forbidden to detain participants in the assembly.
On the occasion of Independence Day in Kalisz, the nationalists organized a march on November 11. During it, anti-Semitic and xenophobic statements were made. The text of the Statute of Kalisz was also burned – a tolerance privilege for Jews issued by the prince of Kalisz, Bolesław the Pious in 1264. The circumstances of the incident are being investigated by the police and the prosecutor’s office.
One of the threads that emerged in the discussion after the march was that none of the participants had been arrested by the police.
Police: there were consultations with a prosecutor who did not make a decision about the need to arrest
As the spokesman of the Provincial Police Commander in Poznań admitted on Friday in an interview with PAP, Andrzej Borowiak “, inter alia, Piotr Rybak spoke in public during the assembly, his statements could violate the provisions on incitement to hatred and national insult (Articles 256 of the Penal Code and 257 of the Penal Code)”. – Therefore, the policemen consulted the prosecutor who had not made a decision about the need to arrest. He recommended that evidence be provided. So the police identified Piotr Rybak and secured the video recording of his speech for trial purposes – he added. He explained that in relation to other people speaking in public, the police also secured video recordings, which, along with other materials, were submitted to the prosecutor’s office for legal assessment. – During the speeches, the organizer of the assembly, Wojciech Olszański, and the man accompanying him, despite instructions from the policemen, made profanities in public. Therefore, these people were identified and punished with penalties – he said. In total, 67 people were identified.
Police: This is nothing new and surprising
Borowiak also explained this matter in an interview with TVN24.
– Police officers communicate with the prosecutor’s office and it is nothing new and surprising. Indeed, such consultations were carried out on this matter. Especially regarding one of the statements that could be considered as one that could violate the penal provisions regarding incitement to hatred or insult on the basis of nationality. However, after these consultations, it was found that the registration, submission of the collected evidence and, possibly, in the course of the conducted proceedings, obtaining an expert opinion would be more beneficial. And such a possible detention may be considered incorrect – he said.
Prosecutor’s office: no such orders were given to the police
On Sunday, the prosecutor’s office issued a statement regarding the lack of detentions during the Kalisz march.
“The District Prosecutor’s Office in Ostrów Wielkopolski declares that the information that the prosecutor has forbidden the police to detain participants of the assembly in Kalisz on November 11, 2021, who violated the law, is untrue,” the press release said to the media.
“The prosecutor did not give such orders to the police. According to the regulations in force, the decision to detain a person in such situations is made by the police themselves, which informs the prosecutor immediately after the arrest. – we read in the statement.
Political accusations against the prosecutor’s office
Charges against the prosecutor’s office were made by opposition politicians after the march in Kalisz. – It outrages the helplessness of the Law and Justice state. The inaction of the security apparatus, which should react immediately, is outrageous. (…) The helplessness of the police is shocking, the signals that the prosecutor’s office blocked the desire to detain Mr. Piotr Rybak by the police (he was convicted of burning an effigy of a Jew in Wrocław for 10 months in prison; The prosecutor accusing him appealed against the verdict. The Fisherman’s penalty was reduced to three months.) I do not understand why the prosecutor’s office has become an anti-Semite protection agency, said Krzysztof Brejza, senator of the Civic Coalition, on TVN24.
A representative of the Left commented on the event in a similar vein. – Law and Justice is a party that wants to have nationalists on a short leash, which is why the prosecutor’s office has guidelines: not to react in situations such as the one in Kalisz – he said TVN Facts Krzysztof Gawkowski, Coalition Parliamentary Club of the Left, New Left.
The march under the magnifying glass of the prosecutor’s office
On Friday, the authorities of Kalisz informed that the mayor of the city notified the prosecutor’s office about the suspicion that the organizers of the march had committed a crime. The reaction of the authorities, as reported by the spokeswoman for the city’s president, Katarzyna Ciupek, concerns the march organized on the Independence Day, November 11, in Kalisz by a group of nationalists headed by Wojciech Olszański, under the pseudonym Aleksander Jabłonowski.
– The notification mentions the possibility of committing a crime involving the promotion of fascism or other totalitarian regimes and attacks on the grounds of xenophobia, racism or religious intolerance – said Maciej Meler, spokesman for the District Prosecutor’s Office in Ostrów Wielkopolski on Sunday.
The course of the march and the slogans proclaimed during it Among others, representatives of churches and state authorities, including President Andrzej Duda, strongly criticized.
I strongly condemn all acts of anti-Semitism. The barbarism perpetrated by a group of hooligans in Kalisz runs counter to the values on which the Republic of Poland is based. And in view of the situation on the border and propaganda campaigns against Poland, it is even an act of treason.
– Andrzej Duda (@AndrzejDuda) November 14, 2021
Main photo source: TVN24