The dismissal by the Court of Appeal of the prosecutor’s motion regarding the march of nationalists on November 11 does not close the case, claims Robert Bąkiewicz, president of the March of Independence Association. – We are asking the Supreme Court to quickly take a position on the case – he said. If the Supreme Court did not make a decision quickly, and also if it was negative for the organizers, “we have the opportunity to lead people through other, legal routes” – added Bąkiewicz.
The Court of Appeal in Warsaw dismissed the request of Prosecutor General Zbigniew Ziobro to suspend the execution of the court’s decision prohibiting the registration of the nationalist march on November 11 as a cyclical assembly. The President of the March of Independence Association, Robert Bąkiewicz, assessed that the dismissal of the Prosecutor General’s motion to suspend the execution of the decision prohibiting the registration of the march until the Supreme Court makes a decision, does not close the case opened by the Minister of Justice, Prosecutor General Zbigniew Ziobro, when on Friday he brought an extraordinary complaint to the Supreme Court .
Bąkiewicz: we have the ability to guide people along other, legal routes
– In this situation, we ask the Supreme Court to quickly take a position on the matter and consider it in accordance with Polish law. Because if it is examined in accordance with Polish law, we will have the cyclical assembly restored. And there can be no other decision, because in our opinion, earlier decisions are political, and not strictly legal decisions, said Bąkiewicz.
As he added, in a situation where the Supreme Court did not make a quick decision, and also if it was negative for the organizers, then – as he assured – “we have the possibility to lead people through other, legal routes”. – We also have other legal solutions that will allow us to legally conduct this gathering – he said.
When asked if he counted on the support of the state authorities to ensure all participants a sense of security and participation in a patriotic celebration worthy of celebration, Bąkiewicz said: – Of course. State services are there to secure such assemblies. Every Pole knows that every year Polish patriots meet in Warsaw on November 11. And we hope that the services will act in such a way that this march will be safe and peaceful – he added.
The Supreme Court returned an extraordinary complaint regarding the march of nationalists
On October 29, the Warsaw appellate court upheld the revocation of the decision of the Mazowieckie voivode on the registration of the march. Two days earlier The District Court in Warsaw has revoked the decision of the Mazowieckie Voivode to register this cyclical event. Thus, the SO allowed for the appeal of the Warsaw City Hall in this case.
“The decision of the appellate court means that the march could not take place on November 11 on its traditional route through the center of Warsaw” – the Prosecutor General’s Office noted on Friday. According to the prosecutor’s office, the adoption of an incorrect interpretation of the provisions by the courts led to a restriction of the constitutional freedom of assembly guaranteed.
On Friday, the prosecutor general, Zbigniew Ziobro, filed an extraordinary complaint with the Supreme Court, requesting the annulment of the court’s decision prohibiting the registration of the nationalist march as a cyclical assembly. At the same time, the prosecutor general asked the court of appeal to stay this decision, however, it was reported on Monday morning that the Warsaw Court of Appeal had dismissed the request.
In the evening, the press spokesman of the Supreme Court, Judge Aleksander Stępkowski, announced that he had already sent the case files regarding the status of the march to the Court of Appeal in Warsaw. “However, not all procedural requirements were met, allowing the case to be considered correctly conducted. For this reason, the acting President of the Extraordinary Control and Public Affairs Chamber, the President of Division I of this Chamber, issued an order to return the case files to the Court of Appeal.”
Main photo source: Tomasz Gzell / PAP