Marek Sawicki, appointed by the president as senior marshal, said in “Fakty po Faktach” on TVN24 that, according to his assumption, it is “very likely” that Mateusz Morawiecki, knowing that he does not have a parliamentary majority, will resign from forming a government. This – as Sawicki pointed out – would speed up the procedure of electing a new government and moving on to the second step related to it. – The president suggested that without undue delay, if the second year comes and the Sejm designates it, he will appoint such a prime minister – he added.
In Monday’s speech, the president Andrzej Duda reported that will entrust the mission of forming a government to Mateusz Morawiecki. He also announced that Marek Sawicki will become the Senior Marshal of the Sejm PSLwho in the past was, among others, Minister of Agriculture in the PO-PSL government.
The Senior Marshal will open the first session of the Sejm, which will be held on November 13.
Sawicki on the president’s decision: it is a clear signal
Marek Sawicki was a guest of “Fakty po Faktach” on TVN24. He was asked what, in his opinion, the president was guided by when he decided that he would be the senior marshal.
– I think this is a clear signal that Mr. President is tired of this political duopoly and this conflict that has been fueled in Poland for many years and that this concept of the Third Way, so enough quarrels, move forward, somehow Mr. she convinced the president, he said.
Sawicki also talked about the political calendar for the coming weeks related to the election of a new government. In his opinion Mateusz Morawiecki may formally receive the mission of forming a government on November 13, i.e. during the first session of the Sejm.
He was asked whether he thought Morawiecki could give up the mission of forming a government because he did not have a parliamentary majority behind him. – According to my assumption, it is very probable, because despite everything, knowing both the political path and the path of the Prime Minister’s financier, I believe that there are still some remnants of rationality in all this – he said.
– No one will question the fact that he can count – he added.
Sawicki has a “hint” for Morawiecki
– But Prime Minister Morawiecki can also use this formula – knowing that he does not have a parliamentary majority – that on the same day when he is appointed, he can inform the president that, given the impossibility of creating a parliamentary majority and appropriate support in the Sejm for his government, with I give up this mission. He also informs the Speaker of the Sejm about it. And then the Marshal of the Sejm starts the procedure in the second step, so the parliamentary majority nominates the candidate and everything indicates that it will be Donald Tusk – he explained.
– And the president also suggested that without undue delay, if there is a second year and the Sejm designates it, he will appoint such a prime minister – he added.
– If Prime Minister Mateusz Morawiecki takes the hint I am talking about and resigns from forming a government the day after its appointment, the new Speaker of the Sejm will convene a session of the Sejm within seven days. So after seven days he can convene a session of the Sejm – explained Sawicki.
He explained that, therefore, the next session of the Sejm could be held even on November 21 and then, if Donald Tusk was ready to present his government, “he can of course make such a presentation before the Sejm and ask for a vote of confidence.”
Sawicki was asked whether he thought Donald Tusk was ready to present his future government. – I think he is ready because the majority coalition that has been formed has been conducting negotiations for quite a long time, and Prime Minister Donald Tusk is already an experienced politician and certainly, in my opinion, he already has a ready cabinet, although we do not know it yet – added.
Main photo source: TVN24