The President of the Supreme Audit Office, Marian Banaś, spoke about attempts by the vice-president of this institution, Tadeusz Dziuba, to exert influence on the inspectors during the session of the parliamentary commission for state control. He also said that he would “defend the independence of the Supreme Audit Office as much as independence”.
The state control committee on Thursday considered reports on the activities of the Supreme Audit Office in 2020. During the meeting, the President of the Supreme Audit Office, Marian Banaś, said that the vice-president of this institution, Tadeusz Dziuba, was to act to its detriment and exert pressure on the institution’s auditors.
– We had an example of pressure exerted by the vice-president on auditors to change the findings (…), which were supported by evident evidence – said Banaś.
Activities of the prosecutor’s office
– Following the provisions of the law, I sent a notification to the prosecutor’s office about the suspicion of committing a crime, because, ladies and gentlemen, this cannot be the case. If we are an independent chamber, the auditors also have this independence in the arrangements they conduct during the audit – said Banaś.
– Of course, the prosecutor’s office discontinued the proceedings without questioning any of the parties. We lodged a complaint and the court accepted the complaint and ordered that all parties be heard. The case is pending – he added.
At the end of July, we wrote on tvn24.pl that the court overturned the prosecutor’s decision to refuse to initiate an investigation into the case of Tadeusz Dziuba. According to the court, the decision of the prosecutor’s office was “premature”, because the investigators should question the former PiS politician and another vice-president of the Supreme Audit Office, Małgorzata Motylow.
– This is the first thing. Obvious interference in the controllers’ findings, which is unacceptable and shameful – emphasized Banaś. – No president or vice-president can change arrangements that are not consistent with the facts – added the head of the Supreme Audit Office.
Banaś: I will defend the independence of the Supreme Audit Office as well as independence
The head of the Supreme Audit Office said that the Chamber had its constitutional tasks. – Examines the data of the entity it controls in terms of legality, reliability, economy and purposefulness. And we must be faithful to that. It cannot be based on the fact that we bend our arrangements depending on one or another policy, because it will cease to be simply an independent institution – he added.
– I will defend this independence as well as independence – emphasized Banaś.
Tadeusz Dziuba present at the committee
Dziuba was also present at the committee meeting. As reported by TVN24 reporter Małgorzata Mielcarek, there was a lot of emotions at the meeting. According to the opposition deputies, PiS deputies deliberately invited the vice-president of the Supreme Audit Office to the meeting.
– Law and Justice invited vice-president Dziuba, who talked about what was happening inside the Supreme Audit Office, that there were some staffing irregularities, but on my suggestion that if he saw these irregularities, he should notify the National Labor Inspectorate or the prosecutor’s office, he said, that the president of Banaś, however, acts within the law, does not exceed his powers – said Przemysław Koperski from the Left to TVN24.
In his opinion, “this is another attempt at political influence on the Supreme Audit Office”.
Koperski said that Dziuba had been invited by the chairman of the committee. – It seems that he was supposed to discredit the president of Banas, but in my opinion it completely failed – he added.
Szarama: President Banaś is not right, it is not about political considerations
As reported by the TVN24 reporter, PiS MPs claim that they wanted to have a full picture of the situation, because, as it was heard at the committee meeting, president Banaś is supposed to act side by side with the opposition and therefore be less credible.
Law and Justice deputy Wojciech Szarama, referring to Banas’ speech, said that “the president (Banaś-ed.) Decided that all these negative comments regarding his activities were dictated by political considerations”. – He’s just wrong here. Going back to his family affairs, to the question of his son, was simply completely unnecessary – he assessed.
After more than two hours of heated discussion, the committee decided to reject the NIK report. Such a motion will be presented at the sitting of the Sejm.
Main photo source: PAP / Rafał Guz