The fact that President Andrzej Duda once again wants to show his support for both men in a demonstrative way does not surprise me, because he is consistent – said the Speaker of the Sejm Szymon Hołownia, commenting on the presence of Mariusz Kamiński and Maciej Wąsik, sentenced to prison by a final verdict, at the ceremony at the Presidential Palace. . On that day, the police received orders to bring PiS politicians to prison and began working on the matter.
On Tuesday morning, the ceremony of appointing Błażej Poboży and Stanisław Żaryn as presidential advisors took place at the Presidential Palace. They took part in it at the invitation of the president Andrzej Duda, Mariusz Kamiński and Maciej Wąsik sentenced to prison by a final judgment. On that day, the police received orders to bring in the politicians PIS to prison.
Hołownia: I am not surprised that the president wants to show support for Wąsik and Kamiński once again
Marshal of the Sejm Szymon Hołownia was asked by the reporter of “Fakty” TVN Maciej Knapik at a press conference about his assessment of the fact that politicians wanted by the police were visiting the Presidential Palace for the ceremony.
– The president has a very clear opinion about Mr. Kamiński and Mr. Wąsik. Yesterday, during the conversation we had, he emphasized this several times, said Hołownia.
– I told the president what my position is on this matter. It is clear. I have no doubt that Messrs. Kamiński and Wąsik fought corruption and no one disputes that. Their intentions, their patriotism or whether they managed to fight corruption at all are not judged. It probably worked in many places. The specific act that occurred is being tried. This act was the creation of a crime by state officials. Something that is unthinkable and that the state should never do. And we are talking about this one thing here, because this is a district court, not a final one – he added.
– However, this is already within the competence of the Minister of Internal Affairs. The Marshal of the Sejm is not responsible for detaining people or transporting them to penitentiary facilities. I understand that the state authorities are working on this matter somehow – said the Marshal.
He added that “the fact that the president once again wants to show his support for both gentlemen in a demonstrative way does not surprise him because he is consistent.”
Later in the conference, Hołownia said that “if gentlemen become prisoners of the Presidential Palace instead of prisoners of the prison in Białołęka or Służewiec (…), we will be dealing with a new situation.”
– From the president’s perspective, the Presidential Palace will become an asylum and shelter, and from the perspective of a significant part of society, it will become a penitentiary – he said.
– It is already difficult for me to imagine what message we will send to our fellow citizens and how the president will want to defend such decisions – said Hołownia. – But this is the president’s business – he said.
Orders to bring Kamiński and Wąsik to prison
On Monday, around 4:30 p.m., the Warsaw district court announced that orders had been prepared to bring Kamiński and Wąsik to prison.
On Tuesday, the Warsaw district court confirmed that the documents in this case had been handed over to the police.
The Warsaw police also confirmed that they had received documentation from the court, and the police started taking action, which was recorded by TVN24 cameras.
Main photo source: TVN24