1812 – this is the inscription on a blade found in the commune of Miączyn (Lublin Voivodeship) by a searcher with a metal detector. Initially, specialists believed that the artifact was produced in 1812 and was the blade of an uhlan lance. It turned out to be a much later hunting sword. The monument will go to the museum together with a 17th century coin found at the same time.
Both items were found in the Miączyn commune by a searcher with a metal detector. It concerns a coin and a blade that have just been delivered to the Provincial Office for the Conservation of Monuments in Lublin.
A coin from the times of King Sigismund III Vasa
The first find is a very well-preserved silver three groszy of King Sigismund III Vasa from 1623 – the so-called crown “triple”.
“The obverse bears the likeness of the ruler, and on the reverse there is a description of the denomination along with the coat of arms of Poland, the mark of the Krakow mint and the “Sas” coat of arms belonging to Mikołaj Daniłowicz – the then crown treasurer,” writes Wiesław Koman, archaeologist, in a post on the Facebook profile of WUOZ in Lublin from the Zamość branch of the office.
A sword dating from the 1950s
The second find is much younger and resembles the blade of an uhlan lance.
“Unfortunately, these are only our “pious” wishes. The analysis and assessment of the find made by Andrzej Maziarz, M.A. from the “Arsenał” Museum of Fortifications and Weapons in Zamość shows that it is not a lance blade, but a so-called hunting sword, dating back to the 1950s. 20th century, modeled on military officers’ swords from the Polish People’s Republic period,” Koman notes.
He adds that the dating is confirmed by the markings stamped at the base of the blade.
1812 is not a production date
“The number 1812 appears on the upper side (which we initially took as the production date), and the number 7 is stamped on the lower side,” the archaeologist emphasizes.
Both monuments will go to museums – the mentioned MFiB “Arsenał” and the Zamość Museum in Zamość.
Main photo source: Wiesław Koman / WUOZ in Lublin