7.3 C
London
Sunday, February 25, 2024

Międzyzdroje. He hit pedestrians and three people died, including a child. The driver was charged in the prosecutor’s office

Must read

- Advertisement -


In Międzyzdroje, on Saturday, December 23, a 35-year-old driver hit pedestrians and killed three people – two adults and a seven-year-old child. A 12-year-old girl was also injured. The driver of the car fled the scene of the accident, but was quickly detained by the police. On Monday, he was taken to the prosecutor’s office, where he was charged with causing a fatal accident. According to investigators, he was under the influence of narcotics, more specifically ecstasy. He faces up to 20 years in prison.

The accident occurred on Saturday just after 6 p.m. on Dąbrówki Street in Międzyzdroje. The driver drove his car into a group of pedestrians, abandoned the car and fled the scene on foot. After 8 p.m., Senior Sergeant Katarzyna Jasion from the District Police Headquarters in Kamień Pomorski announced that the perpetrator had been arrested. Three people died in the accident – two adults and a seven-year-old child. A 12-year-old girl was also injured.

The prosecutor’s office took over the investigation. Piotr Wieczorkiewicz, spokesman for the District Prosecutor’s Office in Szczecin, said that the services, under the supervision of the prosecutor, worked at the scene of the incident until late at night. Moreover, they returned there on Sunday to secure the traces in the daylight, which include, among others: help determine the speed at which the car was traveling and hit the pedestrians.

The charges have been filed, there will be a request for arrest

- Advertisement -

He was brought to the prosecutor’s office on Monday around 2 p.m. After 3 p.m. he was taken out of the building.

– The perpetrator was charged with causing a road accident while under the influence of intoxicants and charged with driving under the influence of intoxicants – said Piotr Wieczorkiewicz, spokesman for the District Prosecutor’s Office in Szczecin, on Monday.

He added that the man questioned as a suspect “did not respond to the acts he was accused of and refused to provide explanations.”

According to prosecutor Wieczorkiewicz, the prosecutor will soon submit to the District Court in Świnoujście an application for the temporary arrest of the suspect.

The man faces five to 20 years in prison.

Taking the driver to the prosecutor’s officeSławomir Ryfczyński

The police are investigating how the accident happened

Subinspector Alicja Ślecion, spokeswoman for the Provincial Police Headquarters in Szczecin, announced on Sunday that the driver who caused the tragedy was a 35-year-old resident of Poland and not a resident of the West Pomeranian Voivodeship. The spokeswoman added that the people hit were also not residents of the province.

– The answers to the question of what led to this tragic event are still ahead of us. At this stage, it is impossible to say how it happened, said Slecion.

The detained person was tested for alcohol content in his body, the result was negative. – Blood was taken for specialist tests to determine whether the man was under the influence of drugs – she added.

The car driven by a 35-year-old man was seized.

Place of the accident MiędzyzdrojeAndrzej Ryfczyński/ikamien.pl

He hit pedestrians and killed three people

Three people died in the accident – a 44-year-old man, a 43-year-old woman and a seven-year-old child. It was previously reported that the man was 60 years old and the woman was 30.

The injured 12-year-old girl was taken away by an LPR helicopter. Magdalena Knop, spokeswoman for the Independent Public Specialist Health Care Center “Zdroje”, to which the injured girl was taken, said that she was “in good general condition”. – Doctors confirmed that she had injuries to her lower limbs. Additional diagnostic tests are currently being performed. The girl will remain in one of the hospital wards for observation, she added.

Place of the accident MiędzyzdrojeAndrzej Ryfczyński/ikamien.pl

Junior Brigadier Tomasz Kubiak from the Szczecin fire brigade reported in an interview with TVN24 what happened at the scene of the accident.

– When we arrived, we found people scattered around the street. There was a car in the middle. It’s a narrow street, there wasn’t much traffic. (…) There was no driver at the scene – said the firefighter. He specified that the perpetrator left the car at the scene and drove away.

Services at the scene of a fatal accident in MiędzyzdrojePAP/Marcin Bielecki

SEE: He hit a tree with his car and died on the spot. Another accident on the same street in Międzyzdroje.

Residents and tourists bring candles and stuffed animals to the site of the tragedyTVN24

10 years ago, a nearby town

The incident in Międzyzdroje reminded us of another road tragedy in this region.

On January 1, 2014, a BMW driven by a drunk 26-year-old man left the road and hit a group of people. Five adults and one child died.

The driver was drunk. Mateusz S. was sentenced to 15 years in prison and a lifelong driving ban. Among other things, this case resulted in tougher penalties for drunk driving.

Main photo source: TVN24



Source link

More articles

- Advertisement -

Latest article