Throughout a contest briefing on Tuesday at its R&D Middle in Harmony, N.C., NASCAR unveiled some tweaks to its qualifying procedures for Cup Sequence races.
The change will have an effect on all races besides these on superspeedways since group qualifying isn’t used at these tracks.
In any respect others, all entries will nonetheless be break up into two teams for qualifying, with the quickest 5 drivers from every group advancing to the ultimate spherical. These 10 automobiles will then compete for the pole. How these 10 automobiles end within the ultimate spherical will set the primary 10 positions on the observe for the race.
Nonetheless, so far as positions 11-40, automobiles that don’t advance from Group A will decide the skin row for beginning positions 11-40 (quickest to slowest), whereas the remaining automobiles from Group B will decide the within row.
Beforehand, the automobiles that completed outdoors the highest 5 within the two teams had been seeded 11-40 based mostly on their quickest qualifying lap no matter which group they got here from.
Cup collection managing director Brad Moran mentioned the change got here after consulting groups and drivers with the objective of hoping to remove or cut back any benefit obtained by drivers being in a specific group as observe situations change.
Group assignments will proceed to be decided by efficiency metrics, which think about quickest lap time place, driver’s ultimate race end place, proprietor’s ultimate race end place and proprietor factors place.
Photograph by: Nigel Kinrade / NKP / Motorsport Images
Shane van Gisbergen, Trackhouse Racing, Improve Well being Chevrolet Camaro
Amongst different objects introduced Tuesday:
– NASCAR will proceed to make use of mufflers for the preseason Conflict on the Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum and the Chicago road race however has adopted a brand new design that helps to lower the quantity of warmth within the automobiles generated by the mufflers.
– NASCAR examined a full battery electrical race automotive – with a compact utility automobile design – for 3 days at Martinsville (Va.) Speedway. The automotive, which has no manufacturer-specific design, did 340 laps over three days with driver David Ragan.
– Following the Daytona 500, NASCAR will do extra paving within the space of Ryan Preece’s wreck which passed off close to the backstretch chicane. It had already paved a number of the grass space earlier this month.
– Cup groups will probably be allowed to have LED boards on their pit field indicators to permit sponsor signage.
– Each the Xfinity and Truck collection could have dwell pit stops in any respect races barring unexpected circumstances.
– The Xfinity Sequence will as soon as once more provide the “Sprint 4 Money’ bonus program. The qualifying race will probably be in March at Richmond, Va. The 4 races which can pay the bonus are Martinsville, Texas, Talladega and Dover.
– The Truck Sequence will as soon as once more provide the “Triple Truck Problem” bonus. The three races the bonus will probably be paid are Charlotte, Gateway and Nashville.