– It’s a bit like this: the more I assure you that I am a lady, the less I am. And this is how it turned out for President Glapiński. The more he assured us about the apolitical nature of the National Bank of Poland, the less it is a true declaration – said Aneta Zelek, an economist from the West Pomeranian Business School in Szczecin, in the program “You Get Up and Know” about Thursday’s speech of the President of the National Bank of Poland, Adam Glapiński.
During Thursday’s conference of the president of the National Bank of Poland, Adam Glapiński did not focus on the decision to maintain it interest ratesbut on the issue of NBP cooperation with the new government.
– NBP is a strong, independent institution. Its independence is established in the constitution, in the act, in treaty and European regulations – said Glapiński.
He added that “NBP cooperates with every government in the same way.” – It’s so obvious that it’s stupid to say it. He cooperated the same way, he cooperates, he will cooperate. Likewise, we would cooperate well with the government of Mr. Mentzen and Mr. Zandberg to show these (distant – ed.) poles – he said.
– Of course, such a government is not being prepared, there will be another one. However, it will cooperate well with any government (NBP – ed.), just like with the previous government – emphasized Glapiński. Thursday’s press conference of the President of the National Bank of Poland was exceptionally short – it lasted only 27 minutes. Glapiński’s speeches were usually much longer, and some of them even exceeded two hours.
You can read more in: Adam Glapiński argues that NBP “will cooperate well with any government”
Declarations of the President of the National Bank of Poland about the bank’s apolitical nature and reality
– This time, the president devoted himself to declaring that the entire institution is independent, apolitical and that it will be willing to cooperate with any government – noted Aneta Zelek, Ph.D., economist, lecturer at the West Pomeranian Business School in Szczecin.
– It’s a bit like this, ladies and gentlemen, that the more I assure you that I am a lady, the less I am. And this is how it turned out for President Glapiński. The more he assured us about the apolitical nature of the National Bank of Poland, the less true this declaration is, she noted.
Questions about the apolitical nature of NBP became more acute after the president appointed Artur Soboń, a PiS politician and former deputy minister of finance, to the management board of the central bank on Wednesday.
During Thursday’s conference of the NBP president, one of the journalists tried to ask whether the head of the central bank is not afraid of losing the NBP’s apolitical nature after this nomination. However, Glapiński did not answer this question and left the conference room (Read: Glapiński asked about the new member of the NBP management board. “I’m just going to say hello to him.”).
– Indeed, yesterday’s addition of former deputy minister Artur Soboń to the management board of the National Bank of Poland only confirms the thesis that the bank is politicized and dominated by one political option. Just look at the composition of the management board. Of the vice presidents, only one vice president remains essentially apolitical. The remaining members of the management board are absolutely connected with Law and Justice. Closer or further, but they can be considered designates of Law and Justice, Zelek said.
Main photo source: Fakty TVN