I have no doubts that Poland will receive funds from the National Reconstruction Plan this year, said Deputy Minister of Funds and Regional Policy Waldemar Buda during the Economic Forum in Karpacz. He added that the negotiations on the Polish KPO with the European Commission at the technical level have been completed.
The deputy minister said that there is currently no information that the Polish KPO has been blocked or that the Commission has additional expectations towards Poland. He added that if any additions are necessary, “we are open, with a certain measure of restraint”.
KPO – deputy minister on EU money for Poland
He will emphasize that the protracted work on the KPO may raise concerns, but – as he said – “we are mobilizing the European Commission to approve the plan in September”. He also emphasized that there was no “slightest doubt” that Poland would receive funds from the National Reconstruction Plan this year.
According to Buda, the delay in approving the plan is a consequence of the delay in adopting the act on the ratification of the decision on the own resources of the European Union. He recalled that Poland was the last country in the EU to adopt the ratification act.
The deputy minister also announced that “tomorrow, the day after tomorrow, the ministry will submit a bill for public consultations”, which specifies the details of implementing both KPO funds and funds from the EU budget for the 2021-2027 financial perspective.
Deputy head of the European Commission on the Polish KPO
On Monday European Commission Vice-President Valdis Dombrovskis saidthat there are still issues in the Polish National Reconstruction Plan (KPO) that need to be resolved.
– There are still some issues that need to be solved in the (Polish) plan, we are in constant contact with the Polish authorities. They are therefore aware of the issues that need to be resolved in order to complete the assessment process. We (also) look at the issue of the superiority of EU law and its potential implications for the Polish KPO, noted Dombrovskis.
Money from the Reconstruction Fund
Most European Union countries have already been given the green light for their reconstruction plans, it follows a list prepared last week by the TVN24 correspondent in Brussels, Maciej Sokołowski. The first withdrawals have already been made to a significant part of them. Poland is among the few countries that are still waiting for the document to be approved. The National Reconstruction Plan (KPO) is the basis for Poland to use the Reconstruction Fund for additional EU funds to fight the effects of the pandemic.
EU economic commissioner Paolo Gentiloni said Wednesday that The doubts raised by Poland regarding the primacy of the European Union law over the national law suspend the transfer of money from the FO.
The Reconstruction Fund for Poland provides EUR 57 billion. Poland has not applied for all funds – the government is applying for all grants (EUR 23.9 billion) and a third of available loans (EUR 12.1 billion) in the KPO, so EUR 36 billion is waiting for the EC’s approval – explained Sokołowski.
Main photo source: Abrada / Shutterstock.com