The German government has just introduced a monthly pass for 49 euros, which is less than 225 zlotys. For this amount, you can use almost all means of transport throughout the country. – Before May 1, three million such subscriptions were already sold. The authorities expect that in the next few months the number of people using this ticket will increase to as much as 17 million – noted Bartosz Dudek, manager of the Polish editorial office of Deutsche Welle. Material by Łukasz Lubian.
The German government has just introduced a €49 monthly pass. For this amount, you can use almost all means of transport throughout the country.
Jakub Majewski, president of the board of the Pro-kolej foundation, explained that this was supposed to be an impulse to try to get out of the car.
– We are able to travel by other means of transport. It is only important that the offer of these means of communication is really attractive – he stressed.
Subscription sales are promising
With the Deutschland Ticket, passengers will travel on the subway, city buses, trams, regional and local trains and some intercity buses. The ticket does not include high-speed rail connections.
Aleksander Kierecki from transinfo.pl emphasized that the debate and agreement on the details of the ticket for EUR 49 lasted many months. – As befits the Germansdetails were worked out down to the last detail, he said.
Sales started in early April. The first data are promising.
– Before May 1, three million such subscriptions were already sold. The authorities expect that in the next few months the number of people using this ticket will increase to as many as 17 million, Bartosz Dudek, head of the Polish editorial office of Deutsche Welle, said.
The assumption is that Germans are to leave their cars in the garage, there are to be fewer traffic jams, less exhaust fumes. Aleksander Kierecki noticed that the offer is not only addressed to ordinary Kowalski.
– It is also addressed to employers who can save money by offering their employees free tickets – he gave an example.
Previously, in Germany, a holiday ticket cost 9 euros
Deustschalnd Ticket is a permanent and modified version of last year’s three-month promotion, i.e. a holiday ticket for 9 euros, which turned out to be a hit. It was bought by 52 million Germans and tourists.
– I traveled for 9 euros around Germany last year looking at this experiment and I have to say that crowding was a thing I encountered very often. Apart from local lines, trains ran full in all the vicinity of large cities – said Jakub Majewski
The optimism after the holiday success was somewhat extinguished by local carriers, who signaled that German transport was not ready for millions of new passengers. Therefore, the ticket will also be followed by additional connections, for which the federal government and the federal states will spend billions of euros.
– It seems to me that there are two elements. One is that the price is very attractive, and the other is that calls are more frequent. The rarest time is to board a train every hour, but often on many lines these trains run every half an hour, every fifteen minutes, explained Majewski.
On the Polish government: takes the opposite action
At today’s exchange rate, 49 euros – less than 225 zlotys – is a good offer. In Poland, the government at the beginning of the year gave passengers a ticket increase, PKP withdrew from it after two months, but many connections disappeared from the timetables.
The task of Adam Szłapka, chairman of Nowoczesna, “everyone who travels by public transport, especially by rail, sees that the Polish government is doing exactly the opposite.”
– Takes the opposite action. The quality of these services is declining, the trains are late, the offer is getting smaller and they are very expensive. Instead of encouraging Poles to use public transport as much as possible, Poles are being discouraged, he said.
In the opinion of Krzysztof Śmiszek from Nowa Lewica, “Poles are constantly being told that the car is the most important thing”.
– That pouring gasoline and diesel fuel is the only good solution. In my opinion, the government will not be able to go on this for a long time, he stressed.
Read also: New train timetable from today
Main photo source: Werner Spremberg / Shutterstock