13.8 C
London
Wednesday, May 22, 2024

New York. Gilgo Beach serial killings. 200 to 300 guns in the suspect’s house

Must read

- Advertisement -


Police seized “between 200 and 300” firearms at the home of Rex Heuermann, 59, an architect arrested in connection with a series of murders more than a decade ago. In 2010 and 2011, bodies of murdered young women were found on the beach in Gilgo Beach, New York. Heuermann has so far been charged with three homicides, the man has pleaded not guilty.

According to CNN, citing its sources, during a search of Heuermann’s home in the town of Massapequa, Long Island, officers reportedly found “between 200 and 300” firearms. The weapon was in the basement, in a “walled room, which was additionally secured with a metal door” – informs the portal. The station’s source also said that police officers are still searching the home and office of the 59-year-old suspect. CNN also reports that the investigating prosecutor’s office determined that Heuermann was “obsessed” following the case of the “Gilgo Four,” the four women whose bodies were first found on a beach near Gilgo Beach. In the history of the suspect’s search engine, investigators were to discover more than 200 search terms related to the investigation, as well as traces of “compulsive” searches for photos of victims and their families, according to the portal.

Suffolk County Police Commissioner Rodney Harrison told CNN that members of Heuermann’s family were shocked to learn of the allegations against the 59-year-old. “If that’s what you’re asking, I don’t think they knew about Heuermann’s double life,” Harrison said. American media reports that the suspect is married and has two children.

CNN also quotes Anthony Carter, the deputy commissioner of local police, from a conference held on July 17. He said authorities were “conducting an intensive investigation” to determine whether Heuermann, who has been charged with three murders so far, could be linked to more victims.

- Advertisement -

Rex Heuermann, 59, is in custody in RiverheadReuters

SEE ALSO: After nearly 40 years, one of the “most wanted” fugitives has been caught. He will answer for the murder

New York. Gilgo Beach serial murders

As the Independent recalls, the beginning of the case dates back to December 11, 2010, when 24-year-old Shannan called the emergency number. The woman was supposed to provide escort services and leave the home of a client living near Gilgo Beach, near New York. She said she feared for her life. After calling the emergency services, she disappeared and was never found alive again.

The police searching for her in the brush by the beach stumbled upon a corpse. However, they did not belong to her, but to 24-year-old Melissa. Two days later, the bodies of 22-year-old Megan, 27-year-old Amber and 25-year-old Maureen were found. The remains of women found at that time were called the “four of Gilgo”. There was also writing about a serial killer killing female escorts.

Months passed, the killer was elusive, but investigators found more human remains – in March 2011, on a nearby expressway, the remains of a woman, in April three more bodies. In late 2011, a year after the phone call, the body of 24-year-old Shannan was found. Together the media write about 11 bodies foundbut according to various sources, there may be from 10 to as many as 18. For over a decade, the perpetrator remained elusive, and the media called the case “one of the most intense searches for a serial killer in history.”

The breakthrough in the search was announced on July 14. Local news station News12 in Long Island was the first to report that police had arrested a suspect in connection with the case in Massapequa, 25 km from New York and located in the immediate vicinity of Gilgo Beach. Soon after, it was reported that the detainee was 59-year-old Rex Heuermann. This was confirmed by investigators. The man has so far been formally charged with three murders. Rodney Harrison, quoted by CNN, said that it may take some time to charge him with another murder.

The New York Times emphasizes that Heuermann, who works as an architect in New York on a daily basis, is part of the killer profile, created in April 2011 by a group of experts and criminologists commissioned by this New York daily. He is currently in Suffolk County Correctional Facility in Riverhead, New York. He pleaded not guilty to the charges against him. The court is scheduled to hear him on August 1.

SEE ALSO: The decomposing body of a 7-year-old girl was found in a wardrobe. Her mother was arrested

CNN, NBC News, New York Times, Independent, tvn24.pl

Main photo source: Abaca/PAP



Source link

More articles

- Advertisement -

Latest article