Three people, including the attacker, were killed and six others were injured in a shootout in Auckland, New Zealand, hours before the opening match of the Women’s World Cup in that city.
A few hours before the opening match of the Women’s World Cup in Auckland, New Zealand, a shooting took place at a construction site near the fan zone, resulting in the deaths of three people, including the attacker, local police said on Thursday.
The attacker opened fire on a construction site and then locked himself in an elevator shaft. Moments later, he was found dead, New Zealand police added. Six people were injured as a result of this incident.
Reactions of New Zealand politicians
“Please stay at home and avoid traveling to the city centre,” Auckland Mayor Wayne Brown wrote on social media.
“I don’t recall anything like this ever happening in our beautiful city. Today’s events have been tragic and worrying for all Aucklanders because it’s not something we’re used to,” he added.
New Zealand Prime Minister Chris Hipkins said in a statement that the situation had been brought under control and football matches would go ahead as planned.
Main photo source: PAP/EPA/HOW HWEE YOUNG