The Supreme Audit Office negatively assessed the implementation of the state budget for 2022 by the government. – This is indeed a unique situation in the history of the Supreme Audit Office – said independent senator and former head of NIK Krzysztof Kwiatkowski. – We are dealing with a situation in which the Supreme Audit Office is not free from behavior that is part of political activity – commented PiS senator Grzegorz Bierecki.
Supreme Chamber of Control negatively assessed the implementation of the budget for 2022 by the government. NIK drew attention to the fact that over PLN 300 billion was transferred from the state budget to specially created earmarked funds. According to NIK, this makes it impossible to exercise control over spending part of public funds.
Bierecki: I did not expect a different assessment
– I did not expect a different assessment, but this politicization of state institutions, which should guard the correct functioning, is unfortunately progressing rapidly – commented the senator PIS Grzegorz Bierecki. – We are dealing with a situation in which the Supreme Audit Office is not free from behavior that is part of political activity, or perhaps more of a political campaign – he stated.
Pointing out that Banaś is a former finance minister in the United Right government, he replied: – You can see that the fate of people holding the highest positions in Poland is also changing.
– We will certainly discuss this report in the committee. I can only regret to say that it is not a good idea for the Supreme Audit Office to interfere so deeply in the political campaign by producing such controversial documents, he said.
– When talking about the budget, we are dealing with a method of interpretation, not with lies – he added when asked if there were any lies in the NIK report.
Kwiatkowski: this is a unique situation in the history of NIK
– The lack of a positive opinion, ie a request for discharge, is indeed a unique situation in the history of the Supreme Audit Office. This was not the case during the entire period of the NIK’s operation after World War II, said independent senator and former head of the NIK, Krzysztof Kwiatkowski.
– What does the information that NIK does not apply for a positive opinion for the government mean? This means that the government incorrectly, badly, conducted matters related to state finances, poorly guarded the budgetary interests of the State Treasury. What it comes from? Over 300 billion commitments that are not included in the budget. This is really an attempt to hide this debt. This, of course, qualifies for the Sejm, based on the opinion of the Supreme Audit Office, not to grant discharge to the government, i.e. not to adopt a resolution giving a positive opinion on the budget implementation report – he added.
Lubnauer: Actually, you don’t really know how much money is out of budget
– For the first time we have a negative opinion for the implementation of the budget for 2022 for a very simple reason. Most of the money isn’t in the budget, it’s somewhere off the budget, and you don’t really know how much is out of the budget. In fact, for several years now we have had new accounting, new creative accounting, in which debts, liabilities, such as the Korean case, where we do not even know how much and from whom we borrowed, are beyond the control of society – commented Katarzyna Lubnauer, MP from the Civic Coalition.
– After all, it’s not just about controlling the NIK, it’s about controlling the whole society. So that the deputies who represent the nation, that all Poles know how much money the state spends and on what and how it borrows. There is none at the moment, she added.
Main photo source: Paweł Supernak/PAP