Three people suffered as a result of a vacuum cleaner explosion and a fire caused by it in Stary Gostyń (Wielkopolskie Voivodeship). Preliminary findings indicate that a significant amount of spray insecticide was used before turning on the vacuum cleaner in an enclosed space, which may have led to a build-up of gases.
The incident took place on Saturday after 1 p.m. The services were notified of an “explosion and fire” in Stary Gostyń, said the duty officer of the Greater Poland firefighters.
At the scene, firefighters found smoke coming from the windows of a single-family building. “Three people injured with burns to their limbs left the building on their own,” he said.
One of the injured people also had cut wounds from glass – most likely caused by an explosion and breaking the glass or mirror.
The duty officer reported that, according to preliminary findings, “a significant amount of insecticide spray was used in a closed room before switching on the vacuum cleaner, which could have led to the accumulation of gases” and, consequently, to an explosion.
The circumstances of the incident are still being clarified.
Old Gostyn. The vacuum cleaner exploded. Seven people were left homeless
The local portal elka.pl reported that seven people lost their place of residence as a result of the incident. Help for the victims is organized by the village head and the inhabitants of the village, as well as by the commune self-government.
– There is huge damage, it is not known how it happened that the fire spread so quickly to the top of the house. There are injured people. It is a large family, we try to secure the place as soon as possible, the village community helps a lot. We work to deliver the container as soon as possible and secure windows that do not have glass. We are preparing an apartment for the whole family, because it is impossible to live in it, there is quite a lot of damage, and we organize all the necessary things for this family – emphasized Grzegorz Skorupski, deputy mayor of Gostyń, quoted by the portal.
Main photo source: DarSzach/Shutterstock