Ukraine’s First Lady, Olena Zelenska, spoke to the US Congress on Wednesday. – Unfortunately, the war is not over yet, the terror continues. I am asking you for what I never wanted to ask for. I am asking you for weapons – she appealed to American politicians. As she added, she and her husband, Volodymyr Zelensky, are asking for weapons not as the presidential couple, but as parents.
– You help us, your help is great. Russia it kills and America helps. Thank you very much for that, said Olena Zelenska. However, she added, “unfortunately the war is not over yet, the terror continues.”
– I am calling you on behalf of those who were killed, those who lost limbs and were maimed. On behalf of those who are alive and waiting for the return of families from the front line. I am asking you for what I never wanted to ask for. I am asking you for weapons. For weapons that will not be used to wage war in someone else’s territory, but to save lives in our homeland – she appealed to American politicians.
– I am asking for air defense systems, so that the rockets do not kill our children, that they do not destroy homes, said the Ukrainian first lady.
Zelenska pointed out that “America, unfortunately, knows from its own experience what terrorist attacks look like and has always tried to combat terrorism.” – Help us stop the terror directed against the Ukrainians. It will be our common, great victory in the name of life, freedom and the pursuit of the happiness of every family. This is what I am asking you to do now, this is what my husband is asking of you. Not as a president, not as a presidential couple, but (please – ed.) As parents – she added.
– Millions of mothers on Ukraine they wonder: “will my daughter be able to go to school in the fall”. I have no answer to that. (…) We would have answers if we had air defense systems. And the answer is here in Washington, ‘said Zelenska.
“For Russia these are the Hunger Games”
– For Russia, these are the Hunger Games, hunting for peaceful people in peaceful Ukrainian cities. They never transmit these messages, which is why I am showing it to you, ‘Zelenska said in her speech to politicians from both houses of Congress.
She presented the story of civilians killed in Russian rocket attacks on Ukrainian cities, incl four-year-old Liza, who recently died during the shelling of Vinnitsa in the central part of the country.
Olena Zelenska met with Jill Biden
On Tuesday, Olena Zelenska met the first lady in the White House Jill Biden. According to the US administration, the First Ladies were to discuss further US support for Ukraine, including “how United States they can additionally alleviate the suffering of Ukrainians through support and humanitarian aid “, and the prosecution of the perpetrators of war crimes in Ukraine.
The extended meeting was also attended by, inter alia, US vice president Kamala Harrisher husband Doug Emhoff and the US Ambassador to the United Nations Linda Thomas-Greenfield.
“We can do a lot more when we do it together. I’m glad I met POTUS [prezydenta Bidena]FLOTUS [Jill Biden] and [wiceprezydent] Kamala Harris and I was able to meet the Second Gentleman [męża wiceprezydent, Douga Emhoffa]to discuss how to make the ‘soft’ power of the first spouses an effective tool, “Zelenska wrote after the meeting.
Main photo source: PAP / EPA / SAUL LOEB