People, regardless of their political sympathies and antipathies, regardless of where they live, want change, said Donald Tusk on TVN and TVN24, connecting from Katowice. The head of the Civic Platform emphasized that “evil must be named.” – If evil has a name, it becomes powerless. Good people win when they have the courage to open their eyes, open their ears and finally open their mouths and shout loudly: this is evil, this is a lie, this is contempt – he said.
On Thursday, the head of PO, Donald Tusk, was the guest of a new series of interviews in TVN’s “Fakty” program, which was extended during the pre-election week. He was asked about the latest one Kantar poll for “Fakty” TVN and TVN24according to which the Civic Coalition, Third Way and New Left can count on 250 seats.
– What I believed in during these months, which was not easy at first, is becoming a fact before our eyes and I passionately believe that this Sunday and this evening, when the preliminary results will be announced, will be one of the most beautiful in the history of Polish democracy – he commented.
Because, as Tusk said, “people, regardless of their political sympathies and antipathies, regardless of where they live, whether they are in Silesia or Pomerania, in Warsaw, Mazovia, Podlasie, want change.” – Because the situation in Poland today is really difficult for an increasing number of people to endure – he said.
– I have the impression that on Sunday we will all feel great relief and a breath of fresh air – he concluded.
Tusk pointed out that the latest polls “without exception, in various proportions, say one thing: on Sunday evening, Poland will say goodbye to PiS and President Kaczyński.”
Tusk: if you want Poland to remain in the European Union, you cannot vote for PiS
The head of the Platform was further asked what he would like to hear most in the minds of Poles going to the polls on Sunday after the Civic Coalition’s election campaign.
– On the one hand, the campaign is an explanation of what is wrong in Poland under the PiS government. In recent days, I have been emphasizing very strongly and I am appealing once again to all Polish women and men, regardless of party sympathies: if you want Poland to remain in the European Union, you cannot vote for PiS, because Kaczyński and PiS have a plan and they are doing it quite consistently. and precisely, taking Poland out of the European Union – he replied.
He emphasized that “sometimes people didn’t believe it because it seems so absurd.” – But unfortunately, every day we have more and more evidence that this is their plan – he noted. – So as a warning against PiS, this is the message that should reach all Polish women and men – he added.
Silesia, women’s rights, entrepreneurs
Tusk was asked which of the hundred points in the hundred days of the Civic Coalition he would mention as the most urgent.
– I’m in Katowice, so I would like to say that the entire Silesian package is in one hundred details for one hundred days. We proposed from the Ministry of Industry in Silesia, through billions of zlotys for the renovation of old buildings, tenement houses and apartments in Silesia, that it would be successful, just like in Bytom, that it would be successful in the entire Silesia, that the energy transformation would give Silesia a chance, a green chance – he mentioned. He assured that Silesia can be “the heart of Polish and European industry.”
– I also think very passionately about women’s rights. Not only that, but also here in Silesia it is clearly visible that in our country the majority of women leaders, for example in the Senate – it is an overwhelming advantage – they are women – he pointed out. – Silesian women are really tough women – he added.
Regarding women’s rights, Tusk emphasized that it was also about “elementary rights”. – Is it in vitro, is it the right to anesthesia during childbirth, is it the right to human abortion law, is it the already famous grandma’si.e. money for a quick return to professional activity for mothers – he continued.
The third priority that Tuk mentioned is entrepreneurship. – 60,000 tax-free amount, a flat-rate and low health contribution, because today’s contribution to Morawiecki is killing small Polish entrepreneurship. Finally, a holiday for Polish entrepreneurs and self-employed people. This is a whole group of postulates that can be a real salvation for Polish entrepreneurship, he said.
Tusk: Poland’s revival will be possible without PiS in power
Later in the conversation, Tusk was asked about his request to Third Way and Left voters to ask each of them to “vote for their own people.”
– Three or four weeks ago there was a fear, and she found some justification in the polls, that perhaps one of the opposition parties would not cross the electoral threshold. And this mainly concerned the Third Way. There is (required) eight percent there, because it is a coalition. I’m not talking about a party race. I am the leader of the party, I feel responsible for it, for the Civic Coalition, and yet we have a common goal and that is the rebirth of Poland, which will be possible without PiS in power – he replied.
– So from my point of view, the most important thing is the victory of the entire democratic camp – he concluded.
Tusk pointed out that “we managed to convince Poles to go out and vote first.” – Turnout promises to be high. Today it is clearly visible that both the Third Way and the Left are entering parliament with a good margin, he said.
– So today, as the leader of the Platform and Coalition, I can say: vote for us, because there is a chance that we will defeat PiS and that PiS will not be the winner of these elections. This is a difficult task, but it is possible. Also today, with conviction and clear conscience, I can say: vote for the Civic Coalition, it will give us complete victory on Sunday. I’m convinced of that, he admitted.
“In some crucial moments there was a lack of willingness to speak with full voice, which is bad”
During the conversation, Tusk was asked how, in his opinion, our country has changed over the last eight years.
– For the last 2.5 years I have been on my feet 18-19 hours a day and I am everywhere in Poland. I have had almost a thousand meetings in these 2.5 years. What struck me after returning to Polish politics was the apathy and disbelief in victory on the side of the opposition and on the side of ordinary people, not politicians, the feeling that the lie triumphs, that we are actually powerless against what PiS has done, whether with the public media , or with the dignity of various minorities, with women’s rights – he admitted in response.
He added that “what caught my eye was that in some crucial moments there was a lack of willingness to speak out loud, which is bad.” – Evil must be named. If evil has a name, it becomes powerless, he emphasized. – Good people win when they have the courage to open their eyes, open their ears and finally open their mouths and shout loudly: this is evil, this is a lie, this is contempt – explained the PO leader.
– And this is what distinguishes Poland today, with thousands of people at each meeting, from the one I saw after returning from Brussels. People were depressed, unsure of their rights. This hope was revived. I have great satisfaction that I have my own small part in this, that cool, decent, honest people, honest Polish women, honest Poles, believe in their strength again – he said.
Tusk on his “hunch” about the election results
Anita Werner also asked Tusk what to do to free institutions such as NBP, TK and TVP from party influences.
– Please believe me, we will not be deceived, if we get a mandate from the people, and I deeply believe in it, we will also have a sense of strength and agency. And that’s when it changes everything. Moreover, together with our partners on the democratic side of the political scene, we have prepared very detailed plans for regaining the media, which today are government media, for the Polish public opinion – he replied.
Tusk added that his party would find “ways to make a possible presidential veto ineffective. We will act in accordance with the law, but in a firm and unambiguous manner.”
– I’m not a gambler, I don’t want to bet, but my gut tells me, my heart tells me today, that most likely, when the official results are announced, we will see that today’s opposition will have the ability to override a presidential veto. You really can’t rule out this scenario. It seems quite likely to me today, Tusk admitted.
Who will be prime minister after the elections? “We will see the results, we will sit at the table”
Tusk emphasized in the program that the Third Way and the Left are “proven partners.” – We set priorities together. I want to tell you very seriously: there will be no problem with forming a government of the Civic Coalition, the Left and the Third Way. As for priorities, we have already agreed on the rule of law, free media, independent courts – he said.
– Local government will be freed again from the centralist corset imposed by PiS. So there is a lot of work, ideas and joint projects – he summed up. – And who will be the prime minister? We will see the results, we will sit at the table. And it will certainly not be an obstacle to quickly governing well, he assured.
Main photo source: TVN24