PiS members started to make us authoritarian, and Poles showed that they will not let themselves be fooled – said Paweł Kowal from the Civic Coalition in “Kropka nad i” on TVN24. He added that the president “can only do one thing” in this situation. Waldemar Pawlak, former prime minister and former president of PSL, now elected senator, said that it was necessary to “start the process of democratic changes.”
Paweł Kowal, who again won the mandate of an MP, running from the Civic Coalition list, and Waldemar Pawlak, former prime minister and former president PSLelected in the last elections for senator as part of the Senate pact, discussed possible scenarios regarding the formation of the future government in “Kropka nad i” on TVN24.
On Thursday, the National Board of the Civic Platform decided to entrust the mission of creating a new government to Donald Tusk.
Pawlak: the process of democratic changes must be started quickly
The former prime minister said that the decision in the Tusk case was a “quite obvious sign”. He said that the situation was clear “because the election results are clear and there is no doubt, there is no minimal difference, there is only a clear result.”
– In the face of such tension and the lack of inclination to peacefully transfer power, there is no point in dwelling on the details, we need to quickly ensure that new ministers take over the government, start the process of democratic changes, at least restore the rule of law and many other important things – appealed Pawlak.
Pawlak: in principle, there could be a change of government after the first session of the Sejm
Referring to the attitude of the government camp, the former president of PSL said that “perhaps we will have a few upright, fair and conscious politicians there who will not allow any more stupid things to be done in recent months.”
– If the president has good will, there could actually be a change of government after the first session of the Sejm. Because the result is clear, he emphasized.
Kowal: This situation reminds me a lot of 1989
– PiS members started to make us authoritarian, and Poles showed that they will not let themselves be fooled, we have shown as a nation that we will not let ourselves be fooled – said Paweł Kowal. He added that “the united democratic parties, each walking separately, but somewhere together in spirit, (…) have shown that this victory can be great.”
The KO MP also referred to reports that representatives of Law and Justice are ready to reach an agreement with PSL on the creation of a new government. – I’m absolutely sure that these horse courtships here will have no effect – he said.
– This situation reminds me a lot of 1989. Jaruzelski also tried to become prime minister, then Malinowski, then Kiszczak. Only Kiszczak wanted to, no one else wanted to be with him – recalled Kowal.
Kowal: the president can only do one thing
The KO MP also said that “the president has the opportunity to assess the situation.” – We hope that the president has common sense. This is how the constitution is written, (…). After all, the president already knows who has the majority and who the nation does not want, he added.
– Today people are happy about the victory, they are crying with happiness. We are happy that we are together and that we can create a coalition government that will lead Poland out of this PiS authoritarianism, he noted.
According to Paweł Kowal, “the president can only do one thing.” – Follow the will of the nation, do not act against it. And this is what I appeal to the president. Simply put, Mr. President, this is your role. You took an oath under the constitution and said “so help me God”. It’s time to do as the nation wishes. Because the nation is the sovereign and it chose you – added the guest of “Dot the i”.
Main photo source: TVN24