1.3 C
London
Sunday, February 25, 2024

PiS politicians before the National Prosecutor’s Office. Ministry of Justice: it has not been taken over by force or is being taken over by force

Must read

- Advertisement -


There has been no forcible takeover of the National Prosecutor’s Office, the Ministry of Justice informed tvn24.pl. On Wednesday evening, a group of PiS politicians, including president Jarosław Kaczyński and former Prime Minister Mateusz Morawiecki, gathered in front of the National Prosecutor’s Office in connection with, as PiS spokesman Rafał Bochenek previously reported, “an attempt to forcibly, illegally take over the National Prosecutor’s Office by Adam Bodnar.”

“There has not been or is no forcible takeover of the National Prosecutor’s Office. The Minister of Justice, Prosecutor General Adam Bodnar was at the National Prosecutor’s Office today. This is his daily practice. Since he combines the functions of the Minister of Justice and the Prosecutor General, he performs his duties both at the headquarters of the Ministry of Justice and and at the headquarters of the National Prosecutor’s Office,” the Ministry of Justice informed tvn24.pl.

Around 7 p.m., a group of PiS politicians, including the president, gathered in front of the National Prosecutor’s Office Jaroslaw Kaczynski and former prime minister Mateusz Morawiecki. PiS spokesman Rafał Bochenek, announcing a press conference in front of the prosecutor’s office, informed on the X platform that “there is an attempt to forcibly, illegally take over the National Prosecutor’s Office by Adam Bodnar.”

Kaczyński: there is a crisis, our hope is the president

- Advertisement -

– We came here because we received information about an illegal entry into the National Prosecutor’s Office and an illegal attempt to take over power in the prosecutor’s office by the so-called acting nominee of Minister Bodnar. Minister Bodnar directly participated in this. He also wanted to enter the office and have two prosecutors, Mrs. and Mr., take inventory. They, in accordance with the law, refused to take such actions, Kaczyński said.

– I know that prosecutor Barski does not want to agree to illegal actions under any circumstances and does not want to resign as a result – he added.

The PiS president said that “there is a crisis going on at the moment, but it is a crisis described in law.” – This is Article 127 of the Penal Code (punishable – editor) from 10 years to life in prison. This is an attempt to change the system by force. Moreover, it is not only this event, many of the events that took place after December 13, collectively constitute a crime committed by this authority – he said.

– Our hope is Mr. President. We believe that he should convene the Cabinet Council and the National Security Council, and perhaps also take other actions aimed at restoring the functioning of the constitution and law in Poland, he said.

Kaczyński: this is an attempt to change the system by forceTVN24

– The government is aware of breaking the law, but knowing that they have support from various sides, and above all from abroad, from Germany, they believe that they can do anything. I hope that it will turn out that not everything is allowed to them and they will have to bear the consequences – said Kaczyński.

He expressed hope that a front for the defense of democracy and a front for the defense of freedom would soon be established in Poland. – However, I do not believe in any changes on the part of external forces, because they pursue their interests and these stories about the rule of law were a mere pretext – added the PiS president.

Morawiecki: this is something we should say a firm “no” to

Morawiecki said that “the activities that are being carried out are completely outside the law.”

– There is no such institution as consent to change the national prosecutor without the president’s consent. They – the current government – completely ignore it. They interpret sections of laws and articles of the constitution as they like. This is illegal, completely illegal, he said.

What the current government is doing is, as Morawiecki said, “pushing the boundaries of illegality.” – This is something we should put a barrier against, this is something we should say a decisive, very strong “no” to, he added.

Morawiecki before the National Prosecutor's Office

Morawiecki before the National Prosecutor’s Office TVN24

Błaszczak: they are trying to cover up all the materials and documents that prove corruption

Former deputy prime minister and head of the Ministry of National Defense in the government of Mateusz Morawiecki stated that the National Prosecutor’s Office is another institution of the Polish state in which there is an attempt to take over, just like in the case of public media. – We are now dealing with an attack on the prosecutor’s office – he said Mariusz Błaszczak at a conference in front of the PK building.

According to him, this is because those currently in power “are afraid of investigations conducted by the prosecutor’s office.”

– They’re trying to shut down the system. Since they imprisoned policemen who fought corruption, now they are trying to cover up all the materials and documents that prove corruption, said the former defense minister.

Wójcik: there is one national prosecutor – his name is Dariusz Barski

During the conference, former deputy minister of justice Michał Wójcik pointed out that Barski had passed from retirement to active service on the basis of a regulation still in force today.

– I want to tell you that there is one national prosecutor – his name is Dariusz Barski. He is a legal prosecutor. The provision clearly states that if someone is to be dismissed from such a function, the President of the Republic of Poland must consent in writing, he told journalists.

– It’s not like he was retired for two years and didn’t make any decisions. Bodnar is lying and will be held responsible for it, he said. – He will be one of those responsible for the attack on one of the most important institutions in the country, for the attack – in fact – on the foundations of our country – emphasized Wójcik.

The case of Dariusz Barski

On January 12, the Ministry of Justice announced that the reinstatement of prosecutor Dariusz Barski to active service in 2022 has been made without legal basis. Therefore, as the ministry reported, he has been retired since January 12 and does not serve as a national prosecutor. The ministry announced that Jacek Bilewicz became the acting national prosecutor.

The decision was criticized by PiS and the president Andrzej Duda, who wants Minister Adam Bodnar to withdraw from it. The deputy prosecutors general still recognize Barski as the country’s prosecutor.

Dariusz BarskiPaweł Supernak/PAP

Concreting of the prosecutor’s office

Dariusz Barski is called the gray eminence of PiS by commentators on the political scene. He is a trusted person of former Minister of Justice Zbigniew Ziobro. He is also associated with it socially. As former national prosecutor and former head of the Ministry of Interior and Administration Janusz Kaczmarek recalled, Barski was a witness at Ziobro’s wedding.

Dariusz Barski as a national prosecutor even before the last one elections parliamentary powers, he gained extensive powers.

– When it turned out that we were going to lose the elections, it was decided that the prosecutor general should be deprived of all powers to do anything and these powers were transferred to the national prosecutor – commented former Minister of Justice, Prof. on TVN24. Zbigniew Ćwiąkalski. – Of course it is unconstitutional – he added.

Prof. Maciej Gutowski from the University of Adam Mickiewicz in Poznań explained that after the changes introduced by PiS, the national prosecutor cannot be dismissed because the president’s consent is required. – At the end of the government, a system was built to provide a lonely island that the new government would not be able to recall – he added.

Main photo source: TVN24



Source link

More articles

- Advertisement -

Latest article