Charge d’affaires of the Embassy of the Republic of Belarus in Poland Alaksandr Czasnouski was summoned to the Polish Ministry of Foreign Affairs. After the meeting, spokesman for the Ministry, Łukasz Jasina, said that the Belarusian diplomat had been informed about the Polish position towards incidents on the border, also with regard to shots at the Border Guard patrol. “We have evidence that they were returned,” Jasina added. In turn, the charge d’affaires of the US embassy in Poland, Bix Aliu, wrote about a “dangerous provocation”. US Ambassador to Belarus Julie Fisher said that “hostile actions against neighbors” will not solve the crisis.
“Due to the situation on the Polish-Belarusian border and the aggressive actions of the Republic of Belarus against the Republic of Poland, Mr Aleksander Czesnowski – chargé d’affaires of the Republic of Belarus was once again summoned to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs. Charge d’affaires was received by the Director of the Eastern Department of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs.” – communicated in the press release.
The spokesman for the ministry, Łukasz Jasina, said that “after a short conversation, the meeting was over.”
MFA spokesman: we have evidence that shots were fired at a Border Guard patrol
A spokesman for the Ministry of Foreign Affairs told journalists that the meeting with Czasnouski took place in an “official atmosphere”. – Mr. Charge d’affaires was informed about our stance on the incidents taking place on the Polish-Belarusian border, incidents that have been taking place for a long time, but also about those incidents that took place now, for example shots fired on the patrol of the Guard Graniczna – reported Jasina. It is about the information provided by the Border Guard that on Thursday a patrol of Belarusian services fired shots at soldiers of the Polish Army, who together with the Border Guard patrol the border. Probably these shots were fired with blank ammunition. Nothing happened to anyone.
Charge d’affaires of the Embassy of the Republic of Belarus in Poland Alyaksandr Czasnouski, leaving the headquarters of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, told journalists: “this information about the shots is untrue.”
When asked about Czasnouski’s words that the information about the shots was untrue, Jasina said: – We have evidence that these shots were fired, otherwise there would be no different kinds of messages.
He also declared that “if necessary, the evidence will be passed on to the Belarusian side, and not only to the Belarusian side, of course, but also to the public and other countries.”
Jasina: the situation is becoming more and more tense
The spokesman of the Ministry of Diplomacy also noted that the charge d’affaires of the Embassy of the Republic of Belarus in Poland had been received at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs at the level of the director of the Eastern Department. – It is worth remembering that this is an official contact, which is important, but we also remember about lowering the rank of Polish-Belarusian diplomatic relations for a long time, this is not only the case of the last few weeks – he stressed.
Jasina also assessed that the situation between Poland and Belarus “is becoming more tense every day”. “Nothing seems to be calming this situation at the moment,” he added.
He said that conversations like those with the charge d’affaires “are always difficult conversations.”
American diplomats’ reaction. Bix Aliu on “dangerous provocation”
The charge d’affaires of the US embassy in Poland, Bix Aliu, also referred to the matter in social media.
“Belarusian security forces firing at the Polish Border Guard is a dangerous provocation, which further exacerbates the situation created by Belarus using migration as a weapon, luring migrants to Belarus and directing them to the borders of EU and NATO countries,” he wrote on Twitter.
American ambassador to Belarus on aggressive actions against neighbors
Julie Fisher, the American ambassador to Belarus, also took the floor.
“Hostile actions against its neighbors will not solve the internal political crisis in Belarus. The United States continues to side with those who oppose the aggressive and brutal attitude of the regime, both in Belarus and in the region,” she wrote.
The situation on the Polish-Belarusian border
A state of emergency has been in force on the border zone since September 2. Journalists and activists from non-governmental organizations, among others, are not allowed there. All available information comes from the Border Guard and representatives of the authorities. The state of emergency, initially imposed for 30 days, was extended by another 60 last week. According to the rulers, the migration crisis at the border is caused by the regime of Alyaksnadr Lukashenka. Belarus’s actions are called a “hybrid war against Poland”.
On Tuesday, the deputy head of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Marcin Przydacz, announced that another note was sent to the Belarusian authorities with a proposal for Poland to send a humanitarian convoy for migrants at the border, and the trucks were ready for departure.
Allegations of a spokesman for the Belarusian Ministry of Foreign Affairs
On Wednesday, the spokesman of the Belarusian Foreign Ministry Anatol Hłaz said that “Poland’s proposal is politicking and populist rhetoric, unrelated to reality and the situation.” According to Hłaz, “in the hasty unilateral decisions of the Polish authorities to send something without sense, request or even consent of the partner, it is a manifestation of a concrete disregard for Belarusian statehood and sovereignty.”
A spokesman for the Belarusian Ministry of Foreign Affairs accused the Polish side that on Polish territory “refugees are beaten to half death, illegally pushed abroad and even disabled children are not regretted” and that the Polish authorities introduced a state of emergency on the border “to hide it”. In his opinion, Poland ignores the decisions of international organizations.
Main photo source: Wojciech Olkuśnik / PAP