On Thursday, Andrzej Duda announced the convening of the Cabinet Council, right after he signed the budget and budget-related laws for 2024 and submitted them to the Constitutional Tribunal under the post-control procedure. On Wednesday, there was also an announcement that subsequent laws passed by the current Sejm would be treated similarly. A day later, the president talks about convening a joint meeting with the government to discuss issues related to major economic investments and army modernization. Politicians comment on the president’s actions. – Today he wants to support Poles, (…) and just yesterday he and President Kaczyński wanted to set the country on fire and create a political riot – said the head of PSL, Krzysztof Paszyk. – The president must be an arbiter, he must be above political disputes – said Grzegorz Schetyna (PO).
President Andrzej Duda announced the convening of the Cabinet Council on February 13. He said that the topic of talks at a joint meeting with the government will be the implementation of investments such as: Central Communication Portthe issue of nuclear energy and modernization Polish army.
The President announced the convening of the Cabinet shortly after Wednesday signed the budget and budget-related act for 2024, but at the same time decided to refer them to the Constitutional Tribunal under the post-control procedure. As indicated in yesterday’s statement from the Chancellery of the President of the Republic of Poland, this resulted from the procedure of adopting laws without participation in the work of the Sejm on them. Mariusz Kamiński and Maciej Wąsik. In this way, the president contests the fact that PiS politicians stayed on December 20, 2023 convicted of exceeding his powers in the land scandalwhen Kamiński was the boss CBAand Wąsik his deputy. In accordance with the regulations, a final conviction deprived them of their parliamentary mandate. However, PiS politicians and President Andrzej Duda consistently maintain that the pardon of Kamiński and Wąsik from 2015 is still effective. It didn’t stop it the president to pardon PiS politicians again at the end of January this yearafter Kamiński and Wąsik were sent to prison following the final judgment of December 20, 2023.
Paszyk about the “glaring contradiction” in the president’s statements
Krzysztof Paszyk, head of the club PSL When asked if this was a sign that the president wanted to talk to the government, he replied: – It all depends, you can see which foot the president will stand on.
– Today I want to support Poles, I want to deal with key projects, such epochal challenges that our country faces, with our children and grandchildren in mind. And just yesterday, together with President Kaczyński, he wanted to set the country on fire and create a political riot, so I’m starting to worry, because now, depending on the day, this is the attitude of the president – said the head of the PSL club.
– I am afraid that by the time of the meeting of the Cabinet Council on February 13, the president will have gone through this evolution several times, from the desire to build various important projects for Poland, to dealing with the case of Wąsik and Kamiński together with President Kaczyński – he said.
He appealed to Andrzej Duda: – Mr. President, we need to decide whether together with the government we are doing important projects for Poles, building Poland’s security, dealing with the issues of entrepreneurs and the Polish economy, we are open to solving social problems, or whether we are making a political grandeur as soon as possible. Mr. Kaczyński will wish it.
Paszyk said that yesterday the president “threatened the entire parliamentary majority that any bill passed without Mr. Wąsik and Kamiński would be vetoed.” He drew attention to the “glaring contradiction between the president’s words and behavior.”
– If this were to happen, the president will take sole responsibility for the lost opportunities of Polish women and men. He will take single-handed responsibility for lost opportunities when it comes to improving security and developing Poland, said the PSL politician. In his opinion, Duda will not want to “go away in disgrace and take forever responsibility for the fact that during his last year as president, Poland actually lost many, many opportunities.”
Zgorzelski: It’s strange that the president has stepped up in the final stages
– It’s clear that the president is attached to the number thirteen. Perhaps for him this is a date intended to stigmatize those who gather around this date. For us, this is one of the dates on the calendar and there is no problem, he said Piotr Zgorzelski.
As he said, “it is strange that the president has become more active in the last stretch of his second term, when he is so deeply involved in state affairs.” “It’s a pity he hasn’t been doing this for the last almost eight years,” he added.
He appealed to the president for “more seriousness.” – The Polish state and the citizens of the Republic of Poland want seriousness from you, not infantile actions. All citizens of the Republic of Poland, we expect the president to act in the logic of the state, not in the logic of the party. We have enough of partisanship and on October 15, citizens expressed their opinion on this – said Zgorzelski.
Schetyna: the president must be an arbiter, he must be above political disputes
– (Andrzej Duda) does not understand the need for cooperation between a large and a small palace and does not understand that this is not a good idea for making effective policy – he commented Grzegorz Schetyna.
He emphasized that “the president must be an arbiter, he must be above political disputes.”
He stressed that there would be a conflict between the government and the opposition because “this is life and it is something natural.” – But the president must run away from such conflicts to have the moral and political right to judge them. And with such a statement, he takes away his right, said the politician.
Sośnierz: he is the president of PiS, he is not the president of all Poles
Confederation politician Dobromir Sośnierz, in turn, said that the president “is not an independent politician” and “gets orders from Nowogrodzka Street.
– (Andrzej Duda) is the president of PiS, he is not the president of all Poles. He simply receives such orders from Nowogrodzka Street, he cannot cut himself off from the PiS umbilical cord. I don’t understand it, because his second term is ending and he could just finally step into the role of president after eight years of his presidency. Unfortunately, he is probably just not ready for it, he is not an independent politician, said Dobromir Sośnierz.
Main photo source: PAP/Paweł Supernak