President Andrzej Duda delivered a message on the occasion of the Independence Day. As he said, on that day “we remember heroes, often unknown by name and surname, who won and defended free Poland with their heroic military deed, military bravery and their own blood”. He also referred to the crisis on the Polish-Belarusian border. – Migrants from the Middle East are brutally used by the dictatorship to destabilize the situation in Poland and in the European Union – said the president. He assured that “Poland is prepared to repel this action by the services of the Lukashenka regime” and appealed to “politicians and the media for responsibility”.
President Andrzej Duda began his message delivered for the Independence Day on Thursday with the words of the Polish Legions’ song by Józef Piłsudski: – They do not wear stripes, but their gray clothes, they do not wear silver or gold, but in the front row they will provide for battle, infantry, this gray infantry.
– Dear compatriots, ladies and gentlemen, on the day of the National Independence Day, remembering the words of this legionary song, we think of those who have done so much to bring the Republic of Poland back to the map of Europe. We remember heroes, often unknown by name and surname, who won and defended free Poland by means of a heroic military deed, military bravery and their own blood – said the president.
President Duda: our country has become the target of a hybrid attack
He pointed out that “it was the gray infantry mentioned in the song who won freedom and saved our homeland a hundred years ago”. – Our countrymen, ancestors and predecessors from a century ago have always left the current model that we, their contemporary successors follow in the historic relay race of generations – he added.
As the president said, “today we see better than ever the courage, bravery and patriotism of all those serving on our border.” – In recent days, our country has become the target of a hybrid attack led by the KGB of Alexander Lukashenka. Migrants from the Middle East are brutally used by the dictatorship to destabilize the situation in Poland and in the European Union, pointed out Andrzej Duda.
SEE THE TVN24.PL REPORT: The crisis on the Polish-Belarusian border >>>
– This is the result of a consistent and planned policy of the Lukashenka regime, which did not shy away from rigging the presidential elections, from repressions, shooting at his compatriots and imprisoning thousands of opposition representatives, from open violations of human rights – he continued.
As he emphasized, “our Border Guard, soldiers and policemen are defending the territory of the Republic of Poland, the eastern border of the European Union and NATO”. – I am grateful to them for their professionalism and determination. That is why today, on this symbolic day, I was on the border with Belarus to personally thank them and on behalf of millions of Poles for their sacrifice and dedicated service – said President Duda. He also appealed: – On this special day, when we remember the heroes of the independent, let us also remember the Border Guard officers, soldiers, policemen and representatives of other services who defend our borders.
– Their uniform, which is a sign of state service, deserves the respect of all compatriots – he added.
– I appeal for responsibility to politicians and the media. Your words and actions have a huge impact not only on what is happening on the border, but also on whether the Polish state and society will come out of this situation stronger, or whether we will let others decide about our matters, he argued.
He noted that “we have repeatedly declared our readiness to provide humanitarian aid to migrants who ended up on the territory of Belarus”. – The Lukashenka regime rejected our proposals every time. The convoy, which the government sent to the border at my personal request, was not allowed in Belarus, he reminded.
Andrzej Duda: Poland is prepared to repel this action by the services of the Lukashenka regime
– Ladies and gentlemen, I can assure you that Poland is prepared to resist this action by the services of the Lukashenka regime. Our Border Guard, the Polish Army, the police and other services are on high alert. I am in constant and direct contact with the leaders of the countries in our region, as well as partners from the North Atlantic Alliance and the European Union. The position of the Republic of Poland is met with full support and understanding there – said the president.
He also assessed that “we cannot agree to the illegal crossing of the Polish border”. – Allowing even a small number of migrants to enter illegally or not responding adequately would have dramatic consequences both for us and for the European Union as a whole. Tens or even hundreds of thousands of people deceived by Lukashenka would storm the Polish border. It would mean even more human misfortunes and tragedies – argued Andrzej Duda.
President: the situation on the border with Belarus has clearly shown that it is necessary to build a permanent dam
According to him, “the situation on the border with Belarus has clearly shown that it is necessary to build a permanent dam in order to better prevent this type of aggression.” – That is why, as the President of the Republic of Poland, I immediately signed the act on building such safeguards passed by the parliament – he explained.
Andrzej Duda also assessed that “today no one responsible can doubt that the decision to accelerate the modernization of the Polish army and uniformed services was right”. – Just as it was right to create the Territorial Defense Forces in 2017. Only an efficient and modern Armed Forces, being part of NATO, are able to defend us should the need arise – he added.
The president also assured that “today Poland is a safe and stable country, ready to fulfill its obligations towards partners and allies.” – Knowing this fills us with pride and joy. We, the citizens of free Poland, owe our peace, security and prosperity to those who perform state service, he stressed. – We owe them gratitude and respect. A respect that should exceed anything that may differ us as citizens of a democratic state. Respect for the uniform is respect for the sovereign motherland. This is respect for the Republic of Poland which unites us all into one community, because Poland is our common home. Let us take care of it and remember those who defend it and guard it, who serve our country and each of us on a daily basis. Let us support them and be in solidarity with them in the name of an independent state – said the president to the audience of the message.
– Dear compatriots, I am addressing you on a special day, on the National Independence Day. Let us remember every day about respect for the Polish uniform. Long live Poland – Andrzej Duda summed up his speech.
Main photo source: Chancellery of the President of the Republic of Poland