Andrzej Duda decided to entrust the mission of forming the government to Mateusz Morawiecki, and he will appoint Marek Sawicki from the Polish People’s Party as the senior marshal who will lead the first session of the Sejm of the 10th term. In his speech, the president assured that he wanted good cooperation, “regardless of what parliamentary majority is ultimately selected and who forms the government.”
After elections parliamentary president Andrzej Duda conducted consultations with representatives of electoral committees, which will be represented in the next Sejm. On October 26, he announced that there are two serious candidates for the position of prime minister: the PiS candidate is Mateusz Morawieckiand KO, Third Way and Left – Donald Tusk.
The current democratic opposition can count on 248 out of 460 seats in the new Sejm, and PIS – on 194.
Speech by President Andrzej Duda. Words about elections
In Monday’s message Andrzej Duda stated that the parliamentary elections “were marked by record turnout this year.”
– Over 74 percent of eligible voters took part in the vote, which is an excellent result. Record voter turnout confirmed that democracy in Poland is stronger than ever. This is a great commitment for all parliamentarians, regardless of the political option they represent, he said.
Marek Sawicki appointed as senior marshal
The president reminded that the new parliament would meet on November 13. – MPs and senators will then be sworn in. New authorities of the Sejm and Senate will also be elected. This is an extremely important and solemn day for our democracy. As the President of the Republic of Poland, I have the honor to appoint a senior marshal who will lead the first proceedings of the Sejm. I decided to entrust this important and prestigious function to Mr. Marek Sawicki from the Polish People’s Party, who was elected from the list of the Third Road Electoral Committee, Duda announced.
– Marek Sawicki has the longest parliamentary experience, he has represented his voters in the Sejm for 30 years. As an MP, but also as the Minister of Agriculture, he was known as a man of dialogue and cooperation. Therefore, I am convinced that he will represent MPs from all parties with dignity on this special day, and the first sessions of the new Sejm will run smoothly and in a solemn atmosphere – he described.
Mateusz Morawiecki will be given the mission of forming a government
Duda recalled that as a result of the elections, none of the committees won an independent majority, hence he decided to consult with all parties that will have their representatives in parliament. – They were good, substantive conversations. Both representatives of Law and Justice, which obtained the best result in the elections, and the Civic Coalition, which took second place, presented their candidates for prime minister and expressed their will to form a government, he mentioned.
He added that during the consultations “each party expressed the belief that in the new Sejm it will gather the majority necessary to support its candidate and the future government as a whole.”
– Also in the following days, new declarations and various ideas regarding the appointment of the most important functions in the state appeared. These issues therefore still remain open. Therefore, after a calm analysis and consultations, I decided to entrust the mission of forming a government to Prime Minister Mateusz Morawiecki – confirmed the president.
Duda argued that he “decided to continue the good parliamentary tradition, according to which the winning party is the first to be given the opportunity to form a government.”
– If the mission of the representative of Law and Justice fails, then in the next step the Sejm will choose a candidate for prime minister, and I will immediately appoint him to this position. All constitutional rules and deadlines will be met, he said.
Duda: the doors of the Presidential Palace have been and will always be open to everyone
In his speech, the president claimed that “he cares about good cooperation with the new parliament and the Council of Ministers.” – Regardless of what parliamentary majority is ultimately selected and who will form the government – he warned.
– Good cooperation is particularly needed in the areas of broadly understood security and international affairs. The doors of the Presidential Palace have been and will always be open to all those who want cooperation on the most important issues for Poland, he argued.
Finally, Duda reminded us that on November 11 we will celebrate Independence Day. – I hope that we will celebrate them in the spirit of cooperation. Let us remember that when Poland regained independence after 123 years of partition, there were also many differences and heated political disputes. However, in the most important matters, the fathers of our independence were able to cooperate with each other, they were united by Poland, he concluded.
ANDRZEJ DUDA’S ENTIRE MESSAGE:
Main photo source: the office of President