6.7 C
London
Saturday, February 24, 2024

Prince Harry withdraws defamation lawsuit against publisher of Mail on Sunday

Must read

- Advertisement -


Britain’s Prince Harry has withdrawn his defamation suit against the publisher of the Mail on Sunday newspaper, Associated Newspapers Limited announced on Friday. As added, the grandson of Queen Elizabeth II will have to bear legal costs of 250,000 pounds.

The younger son of King Charles III sued ANL in 2022, alleging defamation in connection with an article that appeared in February 2022 in the Mail on Sunday. It concerned his disputes with the Home Office over the right to personal protection after he resigned from his duties as a member of the royal family.

READ MORE: Harry wants to “destroy the monarchy”. The former tabloid editor defends himself and attacks the prince

The article said Harry tried to keep the dispute a secret and only offered to pay out of his own pocket when the matter came to light. “How Prince Harry tried to keep secret his legal battle with the government over bodyguards… and then – just minutes after the story broke – his PR machine tried to put a positive spin on the dispute,” the headline said.

- Advertisement -

Prince Harry in court in LondonJordan Pettitt/PA Images via Getty Images

Defamation lawsuit

Harry claimed it was defamatory because it attacked “his honesty and integrity”. His lawyers argued that the material was inaccurate and suggested he was “lying” and “cynically” trying to mislead the public. Associated Newspapers Limited argued that the article expressed an “honest opinion” and did not cause “serious damage” to Harry’s reputation.

Last month, the court rejected a request by Harry’s lawyers to disregard ANL’s defense and to rule in his favor without a trial. The judge found that ANL had a “real prospect” of arguing its case in the main trial and Harry was therefore ordered to pay the newspaper’s legal costs of £48,447.

READ MORE: Prince Harry is to pay the tabloid “Mail on Sunday”. Part of the line of accusation in court failed

As reported on its website by the Daily Mail, whose Sunday edition is the Mail on Sunday, Harry withdrew the lawsuit a few hours before the court deadline and will have to bear the publisher’s legal costs amounting to PLN 250,000. pounds. After the lawsuit was withdrawn, a spokesman for Harry and his wife Meghan said the prince was focused on the safety of his family and the legal case against the Home Office over the right to personal protection.

Main photo source: Jordan Pettitt/PA Images via Getty Images



Source link

More articles

- Advertisement -

Latest article