Lithuanian Minister of Foreign Affairs, Gabrielius Landsbergis, announced that he was ready to resign. It intends to take such steps in connection with the decision of the state railways to continue transporting Belarusian potash in December, despite US sanctions against its producer, the Belaruśkalij company.
Due to the sanctions, Lithuanian banks will not make payments to the Belaruśkalij company, but the company paid in advance for rail services in December and January, and the Ministry of Foreign Affairs was informed about it, the president of Lithuanian Railways, Mantas Bartuska, announced on Wednesday.
Gabrielius Landsbergis, who is also the head of the ruling coalition party, told reporters that he informed Prime Minister Ingrida Szimonyte on Wednesday evening that he was ready to resign and was waiting for the head of the government’s decision on the matter, BNS agency reported. – I understand that Lithuania’s reputation will suffer – he added.
Another series of sanctions against Belarus
On December 2, the US Treasury announced that it was in coordination with the EU, Canada and the UK another series of sanctions was imposed on Belarus. “These sanctions confirm the commitment of the US authorities to charge the Lukashenka regime for enabling corruption, violating human rights, inhuman use of vulnerable people and organizing irregular migration, and attacks against democratic freedoms and international norms,” the ministry said in a statement.
The sanctions affected, among others, the Belarusian Potash Company, Sławkalij, Agrorozkwit, companies from the Belarusian defense sector Beltecheksport, AGAT, Kidma Tech and Gardserwis, as well as the Belarusian airline TransAVIAexport, together with their planes, related to the regime.
Poland, Lithuania, Latvia and Estonia accuse Belarus of organizing the transfer of immigrants to their territory as part of the so-called hybrid war. In a joint statement in August, the prime ministers of Poland and the Baltic states assessed that the crisis on the borders with Belarus had been planned and systematically organized by the regime of Alexander Lukashenka. They also called on the Belarusian authorities to stop actions leading to escalating tensions. NATO and the European Union share the opinion of their Eastern members.
The media also pointed out that the increased number of migrants who are trying to illegally get from Belarus to Poland and Lithuania is the result of organized activities in Minsk under the code name “Śluza”. As the Belarusian opposition journalist Tadeusz Giczan wrote on his blog, Belarus 10 years ago developed the currently implemented action of bringing migrants to the borders with European Union countries.
Main photo source: Mateusz Marek / PAP