We have announced a tender for the supply and installation of 39 segment speed measurements. The devices are to be installed in 13 provinces on various road categories, including motorways, said Monika Niżniak, spokeswoman for the General Road Transport Inspectorate. There are currently 30 segment speed measurements in operation.
– The GITD Automatic Road Traffic Supervision Center plans to inspect 39 locations with the use of sectional speed measurements, which were selected on the basis of the road safety analysis prepared by the Motor Transport Institute. The devices used to measure the average speed of vehicles will carry out checks on all road categories, including selected sections of the A1, A2 and A4 motorways, Monika Niżniak explained in an interview with PAP.
39 new segmental speed measurements
A spokeswoman for the General Inspectorate of Road Transport (GITD) indicated that the basic list of selected locations includes 39 road sections in 13 voivodships. – The largest number of sectional speed measurements will occur in the Łódzkie and Podkarpackie voivodeships – five), four in the Lubuskie, Mazowieckie and Śląskie voivodships, three in the Kujawsko-Pomorskie and Dolnośląskie voivodships, two in the Lubelszczyzna, Wielkopolska, Zachodniopomorskie and Pomorskie voivodeships, one in the Opolskie Voivodeship – she calculated.
– If it is not possible to install devices in places selected for inspection in the first place, CANARD will use locations from the so-called reserve list. The final assessment of the possibility of installing the devices will be carried out after the contractor is selected and re-analyzed by him, taking into account all the necessary technical conditions – she emphasized.
It stated that the contractor must deliver and install, after obtaining all permits and carrying out the necessary construction works, 39 sectional speed measurement systems adapted to the specificity of a given road section.
Devices for segmental speed measurements
– The functionality of the devices must ensure, inter alia, the possibility of registering infringements on at least three lanes, regardless of which lane the measured vehicle moves on. Perform continuous measurements also in difficult weather conditions, register the speed of vehicles at least from 30 to 220 kilometers per hour, identify the type of vehicle, and take high-quality photos regardless of the time of day. The contractor selected in the tender, from the date of signing the contract, will have 70 weeks to install the equipment, she informed.
– The key advantage of sectional speed measurements, due to their range of impact, is the possibility of changing the behavior of drivers and compliance by drivers with the applicable speed limit along the entire length of the monitored section. The average speed of vehicles is calculated on the basis of measuring the travel time between the beginning and the end of the monitored route – she said.
Currently, the measurement is carried out on 30 sections
She reminded that the GITD Automatic Road Traffic Supervision Center has 30 section speed measurements today. – During the first 10 months of this year, they registered nearly 600,000 cases of exceeding the applicable speed limits by drivers – she said.
– The installation of new sectional speed measurements is carried out under the project Increasing the efficiency and effectiveness of the automatic traffic supervision system. It involves the purchase and installation of 358 recording devices, including 100 locations that were not previously included in the CANARD speed camera system, she added.
Main photo source: Tomasz Zieliński / tvnwarszawa.pl