The gas pipeline was damaged during renovation works in Sianów (Zachodniopomorskie Province). About 500 people were evacuated. After 5 p.m., the mayor of the city, Maciej Berlicki, announced that the gas network failure had been removed. He thanked the services involved in the liquidation of the damage and the action of securing and helping the residents.
Maciej Berlicki said that although the failure, which resulted in a real threat to the inhabitants of housing estate No. 3, has been removed, the restoration of full efficiency of the gas network will take until 22-23.
“Fortunately, no one was hurt, and we would like to thank all those involved in the actions of securing, removing the breakdown and helping the residents,” Berlicki said.
The incident took place on Wednesday before 2 p.m. in Sianów at Dębowa Street. As the press spokesman of the provincial commander of the State Fire Service in Szczecin, Capt. Tomasz Kubiak, a gas pipeline was damaged during renovation works, which resulted in an intense gas leak. He added that there was a gas station near the leak.
About 500 people were evacuated from the station building, the surrounding housing estate and shops. They could wait in the facilities provided by the commune – Primary School No. 2 and in the seniors’ home and club where seniors were evacuated.
Main photo source: TVN24