79th anniversary of the liberation of the German Auschwitz camp. A fight in the Wrocław Old Town resulted in the death of a 21-year-old man. Stefan Kraft is the ski flying world champion, Piotr Żyła sixth. Some divorces from recent years may be invalid. Leading NBP employees on the supervisory board of the university foundation promoted by Czarnek. Today is the 32nd Finale of the Great Orchestra of Christmas Charity. Here are six things to know on January 28.
1. Today is the 32nd Finale of the Great Orchestra of Christmas Charity
Sunday, January 28, is the day of the 32nd Finale of the Great Orchestra of Christmas Charity. The theme of this year’s finale will be “Lungs after the pandemic”.
THE PARTNER OF THE 32nd FINAL OF THE GREAT ORCHESTRA OF CHRISTMAS CHARITY IS TVN WARNER BROS. DISCOVERY POLAND.
The money collected will be used to purchase medical equipment for 15 pulmonology departments for children and 49 pulmonology departments for adults. The Foundation plans to purchase, among others: devices for diagnostic imaging, magnetic resonance imaging, ultrasound devices, polysomnographs, portable spirometers, bronchoscopic examination systems, equipment for pulmonary rehabilitation and thoracic surgery.
2. 79th anniversary of the liberation of Auschwitz
January 27 was the 79th anniversary of the liberation of the German Auschwitz camp. Celebrations took place that day at the Auschwitz Memorial Site – in Oświęcim and Brzezinka. The most important guests were about 20 former prisoners. The Speaker of the Senate also took part Małgorzata Kidawa-Błońska and Minister of Culture Bartłomiej Sienkiewicz. The honorary patronage of the anniversary celebrations was assumed by the President of the Republic of Poland Andrzej Duda.
– The world cannot be annihilated, it cannot be destroyed, it must be vigilant, it must not be indifferent. I’m sure that’s what he will be like, said former prisoner Halina Birenbaum, a Polish Jew currently living in Israel.
3. Brawl in Wrocław’s Old Town, 21-year-old dead
The Wrocław police detained two men who may be related to the death of a 21-year-old resident of the Złotoryja district. The incident took place in the Wrocław Old Town. The detained men will most likely be interrogated by the prosecutor’s office on Sunday and face charges.
4. Kraft is the ski flying world champion, Żyła sixth
Stefan Kraft became the ski flying world champion. The Austrian shined in the third and only series played on Saturday. Due to the wind blowing too strongly in Bad Mitterndorf, the start time of the competition changed several times. Piotr Żyła was the best of Poles. He took 6th place in the final classification.
5. Some divorces from recent years may be invalid
The Supreme Court in the Civil Chamber adopted a resolution in which it ruled that some divorces carried out in Poland in recent years are invalid. In divorce cases, both unfinished by July 3, 2021 and initiated between July 3, 2021 and April 14, 2023, the proceedings are invalid if they were heard by one judge and two lay judges.
– Such divorces suffer from the defect of invalidity. However, if they are already completed, the parties would have to request the reopening of the proceedings. The invalidity of the proceedings may also be a reason to submit an application for the reopening of legally concluded proceedings. This applies to situations where an unauthorized person participated in the court, explains lawyer Eliza Kuna in an interview with the tvn24.pl business editorial team.
6. Leading NBP employees on the supervisory board of the university foundation promoted by Czarnek
In the first days of December 2023, the Copernicus Education and Science Foundation (FENK) was established at the Nicolaus Copernicus Main School. Its authorities include people associated with the National Bank of Poland, including Kamila Sukiennik, the right-hand man of President Adam Glapiński.
We asked both the foundation and the National Bank of Poland about the network of connections between these entities. FENK assured that it did not receive any financing from the National Bank of Poland, and the council members do not receive remuneration. The National Bank of Poland did not answer our questions.
Main photo source: Darek Delmanowicz/PAP