In case you didn’t know, Sept. 23 marks National Great American Pot Pie Day.
If the day has caught you off guard, fret not. Life-style blogger Debi Morgan has a “Skillet Chicken Pot Pie” recipe that’s fast and simple to make.
As a substitute of utilizing conventional pie crust, Morgan’s recipe requires a crispy puff pastry high whereas the remainder of the filling stays crust-free – which cuts down on prep time and makes cleanup simpler. Higher but, the pot pie will be made in lower than an hour with fewer than 10 substances.
Right here’s Morgan’s trusted Skillet Rooster Pot Pie recipe straight from her Southern meals weblog Quiche My Grits.
Supplies You’ll Want
12-inch cast-iron skillet
Measuring cup and spoons
Utensils for mixing and chopping
Bowl and basting brush
1 puff pastry sheet
2 cans of cream of hen soup (10.5 ounces per can)
1 carton bitter cream (16 ounces)
1 bag of steamed blended greens (12 ounces)
2 cups of chopped rotisserie hen
½ of a small diced onion
½ teaspoon of dried oregano
1 tablespoon of milk
- Preheat your oven to 400 levels Fahrenheit.
- Steam your bag of blended greens in your microwave for five minutes
- Combine your cream of hen cream of soup, bitter cream, rotisserie hen, steamed greens, onions and oregano in your cast-iron skillet till the combination turns into thick and easy.
- Lower your puff pastry sheet to the precise dimension you want to your pie skillet. When the pastry is secured to the dish, slice small air flow slits in the course of the puff pastry.
- Crack an egg right into a bowl and add milk earlier than mixing. Comply with up by brushing the egg wash on high of the puff pastry crust.
- Bake your hen pot pie for half-hour or wait till the puff pastry turns golden brown. The pie filling ought to be “bubbly” when it’s carried out, in response to Morgan.
- Let the hen pot pie sit for 10 minutes earlier than serving.