24 C
London
Tuesday, June 25, 2024

Sosnowiec. The prosecutor’s office does not want the man convicted of the murder of 11-year-old Sebastian to be released after 30 years. There is an appeal against the verdict

Must read

- Advertisement -


Tomasz M., sentenced to life imprisonment for the murder of 11-year-old Sebastian from Katowice, should be able to apply for parole after 50, not 30 years at the earliest, believes the Sosnowiec prosecutor’s office, which appealed the verdict in this case announced in February.

The crime happened in May 2021. Sebastian was kidnapped from a playground in Katowice, transported to Sosnowiec and murdered there. Tomasz M. heard not only allegations related to the murder of the boy. Even before this crime, he allegedly sexually abused two other children.

On February 15, 2023, the District Court in Sosnowiec, after a closed-door trial, found accused guilty of all seven crimes charged to him. According to the non-final judgment, Tomasz M. could apply for parole after 30 years at the earliest.

Tomasz M. on his way to the courtroomTVN24

- Advertisement -

Prosecutor’s office: We demand 10 years in prison for each crime

The spokesman for the District Prosecutor’s Office in Sosnowiec, Waldemar Łubniewski, said on Thursday that the appeal contained three allegations. The first concerns – as assessed by the prosecutor’s office – the gross disproportionate penalty for three pedophile crimes committed by M. to the detriment of other children. The court sentenced him to five years in prison. – In this regard, we demand that the judgment under appeal be changed by imposing 10 years of imprisonment for each of them – informed Łubniewski.

According to the prosecutor’s office, the total penalty in which the court ruled that M. could apply for conditional early release after serving 30 years of sentence is also grossly disproportionate. According to the prosecutor’s office, taking into account the degree of social harmfulness and guilt of the accused, such a punishment will not meet its goals “in terms of individual and general prevention”.

– We demand that the judgment under appeal be changed by ruling that the defendant will have the right to apply for conditional early release from serving the remainder of his sentence after serving 50 years of imprisonment – said Łubniewski. In the appeal filed, the prosecutor’s office also questioned the exemption of the accused from part of the costs of the proceedings – also in this matter, it demands that the decision be changed.

So far, the defense has not appealed against the sentence – said on Wednesday the spokesman of the District Court in Sosnowiec, judge Grzegorz Gałczyński. Appeals against the ruling will be heard by the Court of Appeal in Katowice.

Tomasz M. is accused of murdering 11-year-old SebastianTVN24

Court: after leaving prison, therapy in a psychiatric hospital

The district court found M. guilty of all seven of the offenses with which he was charged, imposing individual prison sentences for each. For the murder of Sebastian, he sentenced him to life imprisonment, with the reservation that he would be able to apply for parole after 30 years at the earliest. He also obliged him to pay Sebastian’s parents 300,000 each. compensation for the harm suffered.

According to the non-final judgment, after leaving prison, M. is to undergo psychotherapy in a psychiatric institution, which is to prevent him from committing crimes against life, health and sexual freedom again – “in connection with the finding that he has a sexual preference disorder”. M. was also deprived of public rights by the court of first instance for 20 years and is banned for life from holding any position or from any activity related to education, treatment or childcare.

Interrogated over a dozen times, he confessed to all seven crimes

Indictment in this case The District Prosecutor’s Office in Sosnowiec referred to the court in June 2022. Earlier, experts after several weeks of psychiatric observation concluded that the man was sane at the time of the murder of Sebastian and other alleged crimes, so he can be criminally responsible for his actions.

Two of the seven alleged crimes related to Sebastian – one of them was homicide with particular cruelty, the second charge was not disclosed by the prosecutor’s office, explaining it by good conduct. The third charge concerned a sexual offense to the detriment of another child – this crime was reported by the prosecutor’s office in September 2021.

At the beginning of 2022, the prosecutor’s office announced the announcement of four more charges against the suspect. They concerned two pedophile acts to the detriment of another minor under the age of 15. The last two were related to the opinion of an expert in the field of computer forensics. During the examination of the secured computer disks, the expert revealed child pornography in the form of over 200 photos and illegal computer software.

During the investigation, the suspect was interrogated several times and, according to the prosecutor’s office, each time he confessed to committing the alleged acts and made extensive explanations. After Sebastian’s murder he also took part in a trial experimentdescribing the course of the crime. The prosecutor’s office noted that crimes to the detriment of two other children were never reported to law enforcement – the allegations were based on evidence obtained during the investigation.

He went to the playground and never came back home

Sebastian went missing on May 22, 2021. He went to the playground in Dąbrówka Mała in Katowice, he was supposed to return home at 7 pm, but he sent his mother a text message asking for permission to extend the fun for half an hour. Mom agreed, but Sebastian did not return home and did not make contact with his relatives, then the case was reported to the police.

The culprit was identified the next day, based on the analysis of recordings of surveillance cameras that registered a passenger Ford near the playground. Several minutes after selecting the registration number of the vehicle, the police reached its owner. It turned out to be a 41-year-old resident of Sosnowiec. The man was detained, and in an interview with investigators he confessed to abducting and then murdering the boy.

Police: the detainee confessed to the abduction and murder of the boySilesian police

Soon the police found the child’s body – it was hidden at a construction site in the Niwka district of Sosnowiec – a few kilometers from Dąbrówka Mała, where Sebastian lived. The perpetrator drove him to the neighboring Sosnowiec by car. The place where the body was hidden was indicated by M. right after the arrest. Sebastian was held in several different places after the abduction. In one of them he was murdered and then transported to a construction site.

Based on the results of the autopsy and additional tests, Sebastian’s cause of death was determined to be asphyxiation. The sexual background of the crime was taken into account in the proceedings from the beginning.

He kidnapped another child earlier, got a suspended sentence

According to unofficial information, Tomasz M. is an optician in Sosnowiec, after a divorce, he has two children. He was already known to the police.

In 2008, in Siemianowice Śląskie, he kidnapped another child, ordered him to undress and took pictures, then released him. He appeared before a local court on charges of abduction, possession and dissemination of pornographic content involving a minor, as well as receiving computer programs. He did not question his guilt and voluntarily submitted to punishment. In April 2009, the court sentenced him without trial – two years in prison suspended for a five-year probation period. According to police sources, apart from that case, in connection with the abuse of his wife, since 2018 M. was forbidden to approach his family.

Main photo source: TVN24



Source link

More articles

- Advertisement -

Latest article