The West Pomeranian Voivode assured the family that suffered from a gas explosion in a detached house in Szczecin. The incident took place on Saturday, the house was completely destroyed. Seven people were injured, including two children aged 3 and 7. A 61-year-old man is in the worst condition.
The gas explosion took place on Saturday in a single-family house at Srebrna Street in Szczecin. A total of seven people were injured. A 61-year-old man is in the worst condition. The victim’s daughter informed on social media that 70 percent of the body and respiratory tract were burned.
“My children suffered the least, they have minor superficial wounds, burned hair, but this is the least of the problem. They are shocked, but they are stable, we are going home today” – she said on Saturday.
She added that her dad’s house had been completely destroyed. Almost nothing could be saved.
On Sunday, Zbigniew Bogucki, the voivode of West Pomerania, informed about assistance for the victims of the incident.
Financial assistance and provision of premises
– There must be a motion from the mayor of the city here, I hope it will arrive on Monday morning. My services are in contact with the MOPR (Municipal Family Support Center – ed.), With the city. If this application is only received, I think that we will consider the application within one day and it is PLN 4,800 from the voivode’s budget and PLN 1,200 from the city budget, a total of 6,000 for this emergency aid. This first aid is the fastest and can be activated in one day – Bogucki explained.
He added that this is an amount per household. Bogucki also confirmed that two children have already left the hospital. Five adults are still hospitalized.
– In a situation when they leave hospitals, the Municipal Family Assistance Center must be launched here, because it is the task of the commune, in this case the city of Szczecin, to provide these premises in accordance with the Act on social assistance – said the voivode. – I know that such actions are already being taken – he added.
“There was a bang and then I heard a cry for help”
The fire brigade received the information about the gas explosion on Saturday before 4 pm The house collapsed after the explosion. Seven people were injured. As Paulina Heigel, spokeswoman for the Provincial Ambulance Service, reported on Saturday, two children aged 7 and 3 were among the victims. These are girls, one with a head injury, the other with burns to the limbs. The remaining five victims are adults aged 30-61, mostly with burns and spinal injuries.
As Heigel added, “the man in the most severe condition is a 61-year-old man who was taken unconscious by helicopter to the hospital. He has burns to the respiratory tract, head, chest, limbs – 60% of his body surface overall.”
– I was one of the first there. There was a bang and then I heard a cry for help. The building collapsed, its elements were flying. The gentleman standing next to him said there was a girl inside. He was burned. I took her out. Then I saw the other gentleman, also burned, thrown away from the building. I found out that there was still a woman in the room. But there was no room left. This lady was crushed by the wall. The four of us pulled her out. It was difficult, but it worked – said Andrzej Dołęcki, witness of the explosion.
Capt. Franciszek Goliński, the press officer of the Municipal Headquarters of the State Fire Service in Szczecin, announced on Saturday that the work of the firefighters was completed at 19.30. He said that fragments of the walls of the building had been lifted, no more injured or bodies were found. The causes of the accident are yet to be determined.
Main photo source: TVN24