A fire broke out in the stairwell of a block of flats in Tarnów. Smoke began to penetrate into the apartments, so 33 people were evacuated from the building, the services informed. Eleven people were hospitalized, three of them unconscious.
The fire took place on Przemysłowa Street in Tarnów (Lesser Poland). – The staircase was completely smoked, it acts as a chimney. The smoke penetrated into the apartments, there was a need for immediate evacuation, said Marcin Opioła, spokesman for the Tarnów fire brigade.
Fire in Tarnów. Resident of the block: there was a lot of smoke, the smell was very strong
– I got up at a quarter to twelve and everything was already in smoke, there was an evacuation. There was a lot of smoke, the smell was very strong, they said something was wrong with the electrics. We were evacuated very quickly – reported Ruslan, one of the residents of the building. “I feel fine, but my girlfriend not so much because there was a lot of smoke, it was very hot.”
Staff assistant Paweł Klimek, spokesman for the Tarnów police, reported that 33 people had been evacuated from the building. Eleven people are injured, including four children. Three people are in serious condition.
What about the building? The mayor of Tarnów explains
The mayor of Tarnów, Roman Ciepiela, appeared on the spot. – Everyone has been evacuated, that’s the most important thing. Some people are in hospitals, while those who do not report health problems will be placed either with their families or in a crisis intervention center, where they will spend the night peacefully, and tomorrow we will organize accommodation for them, he described. – I think that tomorrow or the day after tomorrow we will be able to assess the technical condition of the building – he added.
The cause of the fire is determined by firefighters and fire experts.
Main photo source: TVN24