According to information from Polish authorities and services, as well as videos posted by them on social media, from Monday morning a large group of migrants gathered on the border between Belarus and Poland, making attempts to cross the border by force. The crisis management team was attended by Prime Minister Mateusz Morawiecki, and then President Andrzej Duda. An additional session of the Sejm was called for Tuesday. The institutions of the European Union, NATO and the United States are reacting.
On Monday morning, the media circulated, mainly from Polish authorities and services, information about a large group of migrants planning to cross the Belarusian border with Poland in the vicinity of the Kuźnica Białostocka – Bruzgi border crossing. The situation became more acute during the day. The Ministry of National Defense announced in the afternoon that a massive attempt to cross the border had been stopped. Here are 10 things to know about border tension. We would also like to remind you that when reporting on the events at the border, the media can use almost exclusively official government recordings and information. Journalists have no access to the area under the state of emergency.
1. Government spokesman: There are between 3,000 and 4,000 migrants near the Polish border. This is a statement made after Monday’s crisis management talks, first with Prime Minister Mateusz Morawiecki, and then with President Andrzej Duda.
2. Ministry of National Defense: migrants set up a camp in the Kuźnica region. The defense ministry documented this in a video shared on social media. This is another z recordings published on Monday by Polish services and ministries.
3. On Monday evening, the Border Guard informed about the situation in the Kuźnica region: we are waiting for what will happen, we are prepared.
4. The Marshal of the Sejm, Elżbieta Witek, gave a television speech on Monday, November 8 at 8 p.m. due to the tense situation on the border with Belarus. – The largest attempt to date unlawful, mass and force violation of the integrity of the eastern border of Poland and the European Union has begun – said Witek.
5. On Tuesday, November 9, a special session of the Sejm. MEPs will listen to the government’s information on this matter.
6. Border Guard: from Tuesday, November 9 in the morning Border traffic at the crossing in Kuźnica suspended until further notice.
7. Thousand Territorial Defense Forces soldiers called to units in emergency mode – in response to the aggressive actions of the Belarusian side.
8. Comments from the international community. “Belarus must stop endangering people’s lives.” The head of the European Commission calls for the approval of the sanctions. Comments were received from other representatives of the EU authorities and from NATO headquarters. The US authorities reacted. To the tense situation on the Polish-Belarusian border Bix Aliu, chargé d’affaires of the US embassy in Poland, referred. “Lukashenka’s regime is putting the lives and health of migrants at risk,” he wrote. In the evening the opinion was provided by a spokesman for the US Department of State Ned Pricewho stressed that the United States “strongly condemns the political use of migrants.”
9. Four Nobel Prize winners made an appeal to the European Union in connection with the crisis on the Polish-Belarusian border: let us not look away from the tragedy.
10. The matter is commented on by domestic politicians, including the opposition, which demands that the president convene the National Security Council PO leader Donald Tusk suggested that we should “consider launching article 4 of NATO”.
Main photo source: 16. Mechanized Division / twitter