The articles cited by the police are inappropriate and inadequate, said Professor Monika Płatek, Institute of Criminal Law of the University of Warsaw, commenting on Joanna’s case in “Fakty po Faktach”. – She says that she feels bad mentally, and someone says to her: “but who did you buy the pills from?”, you can shorten the conversation like this, if we are to draw some essence from what happened, this is the essence: “I want to kill myself” – “from whom did you buy the pills?” – said Maja Herman, President of the Medical Media Society. psychiatrist, psychotherapist.
In recent days, there has been a discussion about the case of Joanna, who decided to take an abortion pill because the pregnancy was supposed to threaten her health. She felt bad both physically and mentally. She informed her doctor about it. In the Krakow hospital, she was interrogated and searched by the police. The officers took her laptop and phone. The case was presented by “Fakty” TVN.
SEE THE MATERIAL OF “FACTS” TVN: Joanna took the abortion pill. The police came to the hospital, took her laptop and phone
The court, examining the complaint about taking the phone and ordering its return, reminded the policemen that Ms. Joanna was not a suspect, nor was she even considered to be charged.
Jarosław Szymczyk, the chief of the police, presented recordings at a press conference, which recorded a call to the emergency number by Mrs. Joanna’s doctor and the receipt of a report in this case by the police. When asked by TVN24 about the actions taken by the police in the hospital, Szymczyk said that “this is a normal procedure for people who we suspect want to take their own lives.”
Herman: The patient should be provided with conditions to return to a state of equilibrium
– We have to follow the patient and we have to look if someone is in a crisis, any crisis, and it doesn’t matter whether that person is undergoing psychiatric treatment or not, whether he or she has a psychiatric diagnosis or not. If she says that she feels very bad and that she wants to commit suicide, we are dealing with information that she has reached the most difficult level of her life, said Maja Herman, President of the Medical Media Society. psychiatrist, psychotherapist.
– This is information for us that this patient, this person, not a patient, but this person, is in a very difficult situation and now the most important thing is that everyone around, regardless of their profession, regardless of their profession, regardless of their social status, should ensure that this person does not have this secondary traumatization, in order to ensure the best possible conditions for her to be able to calmly return to balance – she continued.
– She says that she feels bad mentally, and someone says to her: “but who did you buy the pills from?”, you can shorten the conversation like this, if we have any essence to draw from what happened, this is the essence: “I want to kill myself” – “from whom did you buy the pills?” –
Petal: The articles cited by the police are inappropriate and inappropriate
Professor Monika Płatek from the Institute of Criminal Law of the University of Warsaw stated that “the articles cited by the police are inappropriate and inadequate, because it is true that abortion itself is not a crime.” – What should be emphasized is that in 1993 we adopted the law on family planning, in which the Sejm, governments, in fact included definitions of reproductive rights – he added.
– They mean that everyone has the right to consciously decide whether they want to have children or not. To this end, the state, the authority, undertakes to provide everyone with knowledge, including sexual knowledge. Then care, information and resources that are used for conscious procreation, she continued. – These measures are not only prenatal tests, not only in vitro, not only all medical procedures, but also abortion. And these are also contraceptives and emergency contraception, she added.
– In the meantime, it must be said very clearly that in Poland the authorities are breaking the obligations they have assumed. And this is the basic problem. And to intimidate doctors and women with the Criminal Code and say that more than half of society, women in this country, are not capable of making responsible decisions, is a serious problem. And above all, this problem is that those who are obliged to act properly, i.e. those in power and those in power, do not fulfill them, she said.
Main photo source: TVN24