Deputy Minister of Justice Krzysztof Śmiszek, referring to “Kropce nad i” on TVN24 to Andrzej Duda’s invitation of convicted Mariusz Kamiński and Maciej Wąsik to the Presidential Palace, said that “this is a clear provocation of the president.” Michał Wójcik from Sovereign Poland said that an act of clemency had previously been issued by the head of state in the case of PiS politicians and “there is no doubt about it.”
The Warsaw district court published information in the case regarding Mariusz Kamiński and Maciej Wąsik. “In view of the content of the decision and orders to execute the judgment, executive documentation was prepared, including orders to bring the convicts to penitentiary units,” we read. This means that Kamiński and Wąsik can be detained at any time.
Śmiszek: This is a clear provocation by the president
The situation was commented on in “Kropka nad i” on TVN24 by Deputy Minister of Justice Krzysztof Śmiszek (Left Club) and Michał Wójcik from Sovereign Poland (PiS Club), who also served as deputy head of the Ministry of Justice in the past.
Śmiszek commented that President Andrzej Duda invited Kamiński and Wąsik to the Presidential Palace on Tuesday at 11 a.m.
– This is a clear provocation by the president, who knows that enough justice has been done, justice has been served by Mr. Wąsik and Mr. Kamiński, they have been sentenced to final judgments that are no longer subject to appeal. And the next step is for them to serve the sentence imposed by the courts, he said.
According to him, “Law and Justice, or the right wing in general, lives in some alternative reality”, while on the other hand “we have a legal order that is based on regulations, on the actions of independent institutions, and on the actions of courts.”
– Personally, on behalf of the Minister of Justice, I signed a letter to Marshal Hołownia that both Kamiński and Wąsik are entered in the National Legal Register – he added.
Kamiński and Wąsik go to prison? Śmiszek: there is no other option
Śmiszek said that “there is no other option for these two politicians not to go to prison.” – Warsaw prisons are prepared to receive Messrs. Wąsik and Kamiński. There are two detention centers in Warsaw. The detention center will be chosen, from what I understand, the one closest to their place of residence. These are the regulations it introduced Law and Justice – said the deputy minister of justice.
– The court will send an order to bring the men into custody absolutely immediately, as soon as possible, and the entire imprisonment procedure will begin. The penitentiary commission will meet. The conditions for serving this sentence will be established. Today, everyone is equal before the law – assured Śmiszek.
Wójcik about “crazies from Brussels”
Michał Wójcik said that there is still an “extraordinary measure” in this case. – The second thing is that let us remember that an act of mercy was issued in this case, there was a decision of the president and there is no doubt about it – he argued. Following the presenter’s comment that there were doubts, Wójcik began to list a list of scientific publications in which – as he claims – it is written that “there is no need to issue a final judgment.”
One of these items he mentioned was a publication by Professor Stanisław Waltoś, which supposedly justified the president’s right to apply the law of pardon before a final conviction. But – as Konkret24 described the case – already in 2017, the professor said that manipulation had been committed, omitting one sentence.
To this argument, Wójcik replied that “Professor Waltoś had no doubts in the textbook from 2002 (…), and in the textbook after 2015 he changed his opinion.”
Wójcik also referred to the fact that the Chamber of Extraordinary Control and Public Affairs overturned the decisions of Marshal Hołownia regarding the expiry of the mandates of Kamiński and Wąsik, and this chamber is not recognized as a court under European law.
– It is not a court for you and the madmen from Brussels, but for people it is – he said to Śmiszek.
“Marshal Hołownia had no other choice”
The guests of “Kropka nad i” also talked about the actions of the Speaker of the Sejm regarding the expiry of the mandates of Kamiński and Wąsik.
– We have an extremely serious situation because we have a situation in which, for the first time in Poland’s recent history, active members of parliament have been convicted. Marshal Hołownia had no other choice but to issue a decision to terminate their mandates. Not because he doesn’t like Mr. Kamiński or Wąsik, or because he doesn’t like Law and Justice. The verdict was passed by operation of law, Śmiszek said.
– The prosecutor’s office will check how it works. I personally submitted a report to the prosecutor’s office. And I hope there will be an investigation. I hope that an independent judge will decide whether Hołownia broke the law or not – said Wójcik.
What was the land scandal?
In 2007, the CBA, which was then headed by Mariusz Kamiński (Maciej Wąsik was his deputy) organized a provocation that was intended to attack the then Minister of Agriculture, Andrzej Lepper. The suspected agents of the Bureau were to offer officials a bribe of several million zlotys for the de-agriculture of a plot of land in Masuria. Due to the leak, no money was transferred and the CBA operation ended in failure. As a result, Lepper was dismissed by Jarosław Kaczyński (he was prime minister then). The political earthquake led to the collapse of the PiS-Samoobrona-LPR coalition and to premature electionsas a result of which the PO-PSL coalition took power.
Judge Anna Bator-Ciesielska, who announced in December 2023 the final judgment in the case of Kamiński and Wąsik said that their actions years ago, when they headed the CBA, “were far from” the standard of operation of law enforcement agencies within the framework of operational control and provocation. – The activities undertaken by the defendants described in the judgment were not only illegal (…). These were not actions aimed at detecting crimes, but creating the crime, the judge said.
Main photo source: TVN24