Stanisław Żaryn, spokesman for the minister-coordinator of secret services, spoke on Tuesday morning about the situation on the Polish-Belarusian border. – At the moment we are talking about 3-3,500 people who were gathered in the Kuźnica area. More groups from Minsk may appear in the coming hours. We are expecting a troubled day, he said.
There is a crisis on the Polish-Belarusian border. On Monday, large groups of migrants tried to force their way to Poland. The Ministry of National Defense announced in the afternoon that a massive attempt to cross the border had been stopped. There are over a dozen thousand officers of the Border Guard, police and army on the spot.
Żaryn: we are expecting a troubled day
Stanisław Żaryn, spokesman for the minister-coordinator of special services, said in an interview with a TVN24 reporter that “the night was peaceful, without major incidents”. – Yesterday evening the situation was much more dangerous than at night. But we expect that today will also be destabilized by these migrant groups. We are expecting a troubled day and the following days, he stressed.
He added that it is “difficult to get an accurate estimate” of the number of migrants gathered at the border. – Belarus divided the group that appeared near Kuźnica into smaller groups. At the moment, there are about 3-3.5 thousand people who were gathered in the Kuźnica area. More groups from Minsk may appear in the coming hours – said Żaryn.
In this zone – he said – “various camps and encampments have been created along the border, the situation is very dynamic”.
The spokesman was also asked about provocations from the Belarusian services. – This is unfortunately everyday life. We have these types of events along the entire length of the border. Firing empty shots, shots in the air at the sight of Polish patrols. We also know that Belarusians help migrants in destroying border barriers – the spokesman enumerated.
The state of emergency at the border with Belarus
Since the spring, the number of attempts to illegally cross the Belarusian border with Lithuania, Latvia and Poland by migrants from the Middle East, Africa and other regions has increased sharply. The EU and its member states believe that this is the result of the deliberate actions of Alyaksandr Lukashenka’s regime, which instrumentally uses migrants in response to sanctions.
Since the beginning of the year, the Border Guard has recorded over 30,000 attempts to illegally cross the Polish-Belarusian border. Recently, there have been attempts to forcibly enter the territory of Poland by foreigners grouped by the Belarusian services abroad, as well as provocation by these services.
From September 2, due to the migratory pressure in 183 localities in the province. Podlasie and Lubelskie, adjacent to the border with Belarus, a state of emergency is in force. A dam is to be built on the border with Belarus in the first half of 2022.
When reporting on the events at the border, the media can use almost exclusively official government recordings and information. Journalists have no access to the area under the state of emergency.
Main photo source: TVN24