From the beginning of the crisis on the Polish-Belarusian border, we informed about the death of eight migrants on the Polish side. Seven bodies were found. One person felt bad after crossing and died despite resuscitation attempts. The first funerals have already taken place, although the identity of all the deceased has not been established.
The first victim of the crisis on the Polish-Belarusian border was Ahmed Hamid. The 29-year-old from Iraq set off on a trip to Europe in September through Belarus and Poland. It is known that the man traveled with two other Iraqis he met on the way. He died on September 19 in a forest – near the village of Frącki near Giby in Podlasie. It was from there that Ahmed’s companions sent a message to his family for the last time. It had a given location. Polish rescuers fought for the life of the 29-year-old, but unfortunately they could not be saved. In late October, the prosecution authorized the transport of the man’s body to Iraq
Soon the services announced that the bodies of two more migrants had been found. One of the men was found in the forest near the village of Zubry near Gródek. The nationality of this person has not been established. The body of the second victim was found in a field in the Sokólski poviat.
On September 24, border guards reported that a group of Iraqis were detained at night near Nowy Dwór, 500 meters from the border. “One of the men died despite being resuscitated (probably of a heart attack)” – the services said at the time. It is known that the victim is 24-year-old Iraqi.
Two weeks later The body of 24-year-old Iss Jerjos was found near Klimówka. The Syrian was found in a field during a police helicopter patrolling the area under the state of emergency. Visa documents indicate that the deceased stayed in Belarus from mid-September.
He tried to cross the Bug River
On October 19, border guards detained near the town of Woroblin (Biała Podlaska) A 22-year-old Syrian, who illegally crossed the border from Belarus to Poland via the Bug River. According to the 22-year-old, he and the other young man were sent by the Belarusian services to a pontoon in order to move to the other side of the river. The search for the missing 19-year-old in the Bug was started by a water and diving search group. The divers found the body the next day. According to the spokesman of the Provincial Police Headquarters in Lublin, Commissioner Andrzej Fijołek, the identity of a 19-year-old Syrian has been confirmed “beyond reasonable doubt”. Ahmad al-Hassan was buried on November 15 in Bohoniki.
On October 22, the services informed that in During the morning patrol, border guards found the body of a man in Kuściniec. It was impossible to establish what his name was. On November 18, the foreigner was buried in Bohoniki. The funeral was held in the Muslim rite.
They found a passport with him
More tragic reports appeared on November 13. The body of a young man was found near the village of Wólka Terechowska near the border with Belarus. He is a Syrian in his 20s. His body was in a forest area. The police said that an employee of a forest service plant found them. During the examination, the police found the passport of the deceased person. “The activities carried out in the place where the body was found did not allow for an unambiguous determination of the cause of death. The body was transferred to the Forensic Medicine Department for the purpose of performing an autopsy and determining the cause of death” – the police said. Preliminary information indicates that the cause of death may have been hypothermia.
Investigators commissioned, inter alia, histopathological tests. In addition, the prosecutor’s office has already announced that it will contact the Syrian embassy in Warsaw and help in confirming the identity of the deceased. Investigators want to be sure that the documents found on the deceased belonged to him.
The Border Guard ensures that there is nothing to hide in the case of the tragedy at the border.
– All activities are carried out under the supervision of the prosecutor – says Anna Michalska, a spokeswoman for the Border Guard.
Crisis on the border
According to the Border Guard, from the beginning of the year, the officers recorded over 34,000 attempts to illegally cross the Polish-Belarusian border, of which over 6,000 in November, nearly 17.3,000 in October, almost 7.7,000 in September and over 3,500 in august. Since September 2, due to the migratory pressure in the border zone with Belarus, 183 localities in Podlasie and the Lublin region have been under a state of emergency. It was introduced for 30 days under the ordinance of President Andrzej Duda, issued at the request of the Council of Ministers. The Sejm agreed to the extension state of emergency for another 60 days.
Sanctions and an appeal to Putin
According to the government, the migration crisis at the border is caused by the regime of Alyaksandr Lukashenka. Belarus’s actions are called a “hybrid war against Poland”. The states of the European Union ensure solidarity with Poland. Foreign ministers decided on Monday to extend the legal framework for sanctions against the Belarusian regime. The list includes people and entities responsible (organizing or contributing to activities) for the crisis at the Polish-Belarusian border. – We are facing the ongoing hybrid aggression by Belarus against the borders of the European Union. (…) We are looking at all possible solutions to stop Lukashenka’s regime, to stop him from targeting us and targeting his citizens, said Josep Borrelli, the head of EU diplomacy. The German Chancellor Angela Merkel conducts talks with Alyaksandr Lukashenka.
The administration of President Joe Biden also took the floor on the situation at the border. White House spokeswoman Jen Psaki stated that The US urges Russia to use its influence over the regime of Alyaksandr Lukashenkato stop using migrants. She also announced that the US is coordinating with the European Union the imposition of new sanctions on Belarus.
Britain has announced that will send 100 to 150 soldiers from engineering formations to Poland. The soldiers are to be dispatched “in a few days or weeks”. Estonia is also offering help, and it also wants to send its soldiers to the Polish-Belarusian border.
They’re building a temporary fence at the border
By the middle of next year, a steel fence will be erected on the border with Belarus, topped with barbed wire and enriched with electronic devices. The dam, 180 kilometers long and 5.5 meters high, will be built in Podlasie. Along the border, motion sensors as well as day and night cameras will be installed. The Bug River is a natural dam in the Lublin region.
Main photo source: TVN24