14.5 C
London
Tuesday, May 21, 2024

The death toll from the earthquake on the border between Turkey and Syria is rising

Must read

- Advertisement -


More than 15,000 people were killed in the earthquake that hit southern Turkey and Syria on Monday. The Turkish side reports more than 12,000 deaths, while in Syria, nearly 3,000 people died. Meanwhile, the authorities in Ankara, criticized for the lack of action by Turkish services, restricted access to Twitter on Wednesday.

The death toll from the devastating earthquake that hit the south-east on Monday Turkey and the northern part Syriaexceeded 15,000, the AFP agency reported on Thursday morning, citing the authorities and rescue services of both countries.

According to the latest tally, 12,391 people have died and 62,914 have been injured in Turkey. 2,992 people died in Syria.

Turkey restricts access to Twitter

Following criticism of the government’s response to the earthquakes on Twitter, some mobile service providers in Turkey restricted access to the site on Wednesday, AFP reported.

- Advertisement -

Turks complain about the lack of aid, especially in the province of Hatay in the south-east of the country on the border with Syria, one of the hardest hit by the disaster. The president of Turkey visited Hatay on Wednesday Recep Tayyip Erdogan. He admitted that there were “some problems” in the initial response to the earthquakes.

The death toll from the earthquake on the border between Turkey and Syria is risingABIR SULTAN/PAP/EPA

Turkish police have arrested more than a dozen people since Monday’s earthquake for posts on social media criticizing the authorities’ handling of the disaster.

“Turkey has a long history of restricting social networks during domestic emergencies and security incidents,” noted Internet freedom monitoring body NetBlocks, quoted by AFP.

Spain sends ships to help Turkey

A Spanish rescue vessel already helping victims of Monday’s earthquake in Turkey was joined on Wednesday by four naval vessels that had previously participated in maneuvers in the Mediterranean. They are: aircraft carrier “Juan Carlos I”, the attack ship “Galicia”, the frigate “Blas de Lezo” and the combat supply ship “Cantabria”, said the Minister of Defense Margarita Robles.

The ships are equipped with on-board hospitals, helicopters, trucks and light vehicles, and landing boats. There are approximately 500 marines on board the four ships, who are tasked with providing humanitarian assistance to victims, evacuating the wounded, clearing debris and distributing food aid to the population.

So far, the ships have been conducting exercises in the Mediterranean Sea with other allied ships. However, the Ministry of Defense decided to send them to Turkey due to the aid resources at their disposal.

For example, the aircraft carrier Juan Carlos I – the largest ship of the Spanish Navy – can accommodate more than 1,400 people on board, has a hospital with two operating rooms, a laboratory and an X-ray machine, as well as helicopters and landing boats that can be used to evacuate the wounded by air and sea.

The ships have a total of 12 trucks and 40 light vehicles that can be used to move the wounded. Marines are also equipped with tents with electricity, showers and dining areas. The victims of the earthquake will be immediately provided with rations and bottled water, the supplies are enough for 1,000 people for 9 days, the statement said.

Interior Ministry of Ukraine: our rescuers will stay in Turkey for 10 days

– 87 rescuers left. They are rescuers with experience in such activities both in Ukraineas well as abroad – said on Wednesday the head of the Interior Ministry of Ukraine Ihor Klymenko, quoted by Interfax-Ukraine.

The Interior Ministry of Ukraine, he added, also sent 10 search dogs and 18 units of equipment to Turkey. Klymenko said that Ukrainian rescuers, equipped with, among others, in Starlinki, drones and debris removal equipment are already in Turkey. He noted that initially the mission will stay in this country for 10 days.

Earthquake in Turkey and Syria

The epicenter of the 7.8 magnitude earthquake that hit southeastern Turkey and northwestern Syria on Monday morning was in Turkey’s Kahramanmaras province. Less than 12 hours later, a second 7.7-magnitude quake occurred several dozen kilometers to the north. Both phenomena were accompanied by a series of over 100 aftershocks.

The affected region of south-eastern Turkey and north-western Syria is seismically active and tremors are frequent. However, the latter is the most powerful cataclysm of this type in this region in recent times. In 1999, an earthquake in Izmit, Turkey, killed 17,000-18,000 people. Measurements showed that the quake had a magnitude of 7.6.

PAP

The deadliest earthquake in the history of seismic measurements was recorded in 1976 in the Chinese province of Tangshan. The official figures of the authorities spoke of 250,000 victims. They were probably greatly underestimated, because some sources gave the number of people killed as high as 650,000. The earthquake in Tangshan had an official magnitude of 7.5, although other measurements put it as high as 8.2. In turn, the magnitude of 9.5 was the strongest recorded quake in history, in 1960, in Chile. More than 1,650 people died then.

Main photo source: ABIR SULTAN/PAP/EPA



Source link

More articles

- Advertisement -

Latest article