A jury of seven, after three days of deliberation, agreed with Johnny Depp in the case against his ex-wife Amber Heard. The actress was found guilty of defamation of Depp, although in one aspect she also proved in the opinion of the jury that her counter-suit was justified. The deputy editor-in-chief of Filmweb, Łukasz Muszyński and Tomasz-Marcin Wrona from tvn24.pl, estimated that the judgment would have an impact on the future of the actors.
The jury in the judgment in Johnny Depp v. Amber Heard, announced on Wednesday, said that the star of “Pirates of the Caribbean” was slandered by his ex-wife in a column for The Washington Post.
Johnny Depp was not present in the courtroom during the pronouncement of the sentence. The actor is in Great Britain, where he took part in a Jeff Beck concert over the weekend. Amber Heard heard the decision personally.
Amber Heard’s unclear cinematic future
The trial, broadcast on television and on the Internet, was met with great interest all over the world. – We live in a spectacle society at a time when we can follow the trial of one of the greatest stars in the history of cinema – said Łukasz Muszyński, deputy editor-in-chief of Filmweb, Łukasz Muszyński in the “Dzień na BiS” program on TVN24 BiS. “What happened on social media says a lot about the attitude of viewers to Johnny Depp,” he added.
– Amber Heard is also a well-known character, especially due to his role in the movie “Aquaman”. Next year, the second part of this blockbuster, which grossed over a billion dollars, will hit theaters, he emphasized.
– Everyone is already wondering how this verdict will affect her presence in this film, whether she will continue to appear, or whether her role will be minimized – noted the deputy editor-in-chief of Filmweb.
Crow: Depp doesn’t have to worry about the next movie roles
“The jury has brought me back to life. I am really grateful” – Johnny Depp said in a statementwho watched the verdict from Great Britain.
Tomasz-Marcin Wrona from Kultura from tvn24.pl stated that experts, even before the verdict in the defamation case, suggested that Johnny Depp was too talented an actor for Hollywood to forget about him. “Some of the experts predicted that he would play in an independent cinema, but Hollywood would forget his guilt after all,” he added.
– Due to the fact that the jurors leaned towards him, I do not think Johnny Depp would have to worry about the next roles in large productions, because – according to the law – he was right and defamed – said Tomasz Marcin Wrona.
– One should only guess to what extent his physical and mental condition will allow him to play roles such as the one from “Pirates of the Caribbean” or “Fantastic Animals”, which he had to say goodbye to – added the author podcast “New Better World” TVN24 GO.
Muszyński: money was a secondary matter
Judge Penney Azcarate said the jury would pay Heard $ 15 million. However, this fine was reduced to $ 10.35 million due to Virginia law.
At the same time, the jury agreed that Heard was right, because in its counter-suit it had proved one of the three elements of defamation and awarded her two million dollars in damages.
– Money in this process was of secondary importance. It was about the image and how Johnny Depp and Amber Heard would be remembered. Johnny Depp fought not to be remembered as a “spouse”, a man who committed domestic violence – emphasized Łukasz Muszyński.
He noted that both Johnny Depp and Amber Heard are wealthy people. – But the image is difficult to rebuild, especially after the decision has been made – he added.
Tomasz-Marcin Wrona assessed that celebrities after the judgment in the Depp v. Heard case “will feel respect for what they can say in public and what not”. – This process was dehumanizing both sides, they both lost their image, because the recordings of Johnny Depp’s behavior are disgusting – he assessed.
Main photo source: Andrea Raffin / Shutterstock