On Friday in Warsaw, several thousand people marched on the anniversary of the Constitutional Court’s ruling on abortion. The protesters walked from the Dmowski roundabout to the building of the Constitutional Tribunal. They were also manifested in Poznań, Wrocław and Opole, among others. The Warsaw Police Headquarters announced that there were no threats on the route of the march.
Before On the 20th in Warsaw, a protest on the anniversary of the ruling of the Constitutional Tribunal on abortion ended. The protesters gathered at the Dmowski roundabout, from where they passed to the Constitutional Tribunal.
The manifesto was held under the slogan “We Defend Life”. The protest was attended, among others, by representatives of the Left and Poland 2050 – during the march and in front of the Constitutional Court, the demonstrators chanted “Abortion was, is and will be” and “Independent is for everyone”. On Saturday – according to the announcement of the National Women’s Strike – the protesters are to go to the border.
– If a person has no control over his reproductive rights, has no control over what he can and cannot do with his body, then he is not and will never be a completely free person, a free person. A year ago, I felt that the fundamental freedom of self-determination was taken away from me – said a participant in the march that took place in Warsaw.
– We are still young, but in the future we will bear the consequences of some decisions, so we should fight to make things better for us – said the young participant of the demonstration.
– I am here to stand up for women, so that they have the right to decide about their own bodies, that no one imposes on them what they can and cannot do with their own bodies. The right to abortion is a human right. It is important that Polish women have a choice – added another demonstrator.
Demonstration in Poznań on the anniversary of the judgment of the Constitutional Tribunal on abortion
One of the participants of the demonstration in Poznań emphasized that “it is important that it is sounded that not only women are fighting for this right, but also men”. – We are also here because most of all these laws are passed by men, and we do not have our consent, so that someone who never experiences it, does not really know what they are talking about, could make such decisions – she added.
– This is the anniversary of the event that should lead to the collapse of this government, but nothing has changed – pointed out the inhabitant of Poznań. She emphasized that the few participation in the demonstrations shows that “we have a very serious problem with protesting and enforcing our rights”.
A manifestation in Wrocław on the anniversary of the judgment of the Constitutional Tribunal on abortion
– I came here for my daughter and granddaughter, for my friends who can’t be here. It is not acceptable for a woman to be a push, so that everything is organized in such a way that she is alone with this problem – said one of the participants of the protest in Wrocław.
The man pointed out that the abortion sentence was issued by people who should not be there at all because of the way they were selected. “We should continue to fight for women to be able to make decisions about whether they want to become mothers or not,” he added.
Protests in Opole on the anniversary of the judgment of the Constitutional Tribunal on abortion
– I came to show this authority that we still demand this change – emphasized one of the demonstrators from Opole.
– Every woman should have the right to choose. If a woman becomes pregnant and she does not want it, she should have every right to terminate her pregnancy, said another woman.
KSP: no threats were reported along the route of the march
After the end of the demonstration, the Warsaw Police Headquarters announced that “there were no threats on the route of the march”.
“Traffic is smooth on all communication routes in the city center. KSP policemen take care of the safety of residents” – added. On October 22, 2020, the Constitutional Tribunal stated that the provision allowing – under the 1993 Act – abortion in the case of a high probability of severe and irreversible impairment of the fetus or an incurable life-threatening disease is inconsistent with the constitution. The judgment of the Constitutional Tribunal caused numerous protests throughout Poland.
Main photo source: Radek Pietruszka / PAP