The activities of the Smolensk subcommittee will be reviewed by experts from the established verification team of the Ministry of National Defense. Its members include people associated with the military and aviation, as well as lawyers and scientists. – The team is apolitical – emphasizes the head of the Ministry of National Defense, Władysław Kosiniak-Kamysz. At the same time, former members of Antoni Macierewicz’s subcommittee spoke. In the report “Black and white” by TVN24, they talk about lies, manipulation, blackmail and selecting evidence to support the thesis.
Nineteen experts are members of the new team appointed on Friday by the Deputy Prime Minister and the head of the Ministry of National Defense. – We are appointing a team to assess the functioning of the subcommittee to re-examine the air accident – said Władysław Kosiniak-Kamysz.
Antoni Macierewicz’s Smolensk subcommittee was established almost 8 years ago, when Law and Justice came to power. It ceased operations at the end of last year, following the decision of the Minister of Defense and the Deputy Prime Minister.
For almost 8 years, the subcommittee provided PiS with fuel to fuel the thesis about the Smolensk attack, which it never reliably proved. – We need to explain the justification, purposefulness and credibility of these actions, because we have not noticed any effects so far – said Kosiniak-Kamysz.
According to the latest calculations, the commission’s activities cost PLN 36 million, and this is most likely not the final bill. – We will evaluate the activities of the subcommittee, but we will not assess or investigate the causes of the disaster – explained the Deputy Prime Minister and Minister of Defense.
As for the reasons, Miller’s report, with which PiS does not agree, will apply. – They did not seek to clarify the truth, they sought to make the Russian version, Putin’s Russian version, credible – says Paweł Jabłoński, an MP from Law and Justice. – 18 members of the Miller commission were on site and examined the wreck, and as for the Smolensk subcommittee, it is the first subcommittee in the world established for an air accident that investigated the air accident in a virtual way – points out Cezary Tomczyk, deputy minister of defense, MP of the Coalition. Civic.
The team that will settle everything will be led by pilot colonel Leszek Błach. – Over the last 7 years, he has conducted several dozen military audits and this is what he mainly dealt with. In my opinion, he is the best specialist in this field in Poland, says Tomczyk.
The former head of the Ministry of National Defense defends the subcommittee
The committee also includes people associated with the military and aviation, some of them specializing in inspections and audits. Lawyers and scientists are also on the list. – The team is apolitical. This team does not include anyone associated with politics, emphasizes Kosiniak-Kamysz.
Former head of the Ministry of National Defense, Mariusz Błaszczak, is trying to defend the activities of Antoni Macierewicz. – The Smolensk subcommittee acted in accordance with the law – says the politician. However, the current coordinator of special services, Tomasz Siemoniak, has a different opinion. – One big hotbed of pathology and undoubtedly Macierewicz must be held responsible for it – he believes.
The Ministry of National Defense team has until the end of June to investigate Macierewicz’s subcommittee. The result of the work will be a report, after which – if necessary – notifications will be sent to the prosecutor’s office.
– In my opinion, we were – to put it ugly – pens who were supposed to sign the report regardless of what it contained – says Marek Dąbrowski, a former member of the Smolensk subcommittee. – Mr. Macierewicz created a narrative for a certain thesis. His thesis – adds Kazimierz Grono, former member of the Smolensk subcommittee.
Former members of Macierewicz’s subcommittee, interviewed by TVN24’s “Black and White” reporter Piotr Świerczek, talked about the behind-the-scenes of working with Antoni Macierewicz in the latest reportage “The Witches’ Cauldron”.
– What is most reprehensible for me was the hiding of expert opinions from members of the subcommittee – informs Dąbrowski. Expert opinions that excluded theses that were inconvenient for Macierewicz. – The documents were treated selectively – says Wiesław Chrzanowski, a former member of the Smolensk subcommittee.
Antoni Macierewicz denies everything and accuses lies.
“It was one-way mail.”
Members of the subcommittee interviewed by the TVN24 “Black and white” reporter say that they informed the then Minister of Defense Mariusz Błaszczak and the president, Jarosław Kaczyński, about the irregularities. Wiesław Chrzanowski informs that they were treated without any response. – It was a one-way mail – he adds.
Mariusz Błaszczak answers questions about Macierewicz’s subcommittee evasively. – I did not interfere in the work of the subcommittee – says the former defense minister.
As those currently in power say, the theses pushed by Macierewicz for PiS paid off politically. – It was a tool to introduce the Smolensk lie into the debate – says Siemoniak. – It wasn’t about clarifying the matter, it wasn’t about finding the truth. It was about building a political narrative, says Mirosław Suchoń, MP of the Third Way. – The Macierewicz Commission was never intended to establish the actual circumstances of the accident near Smolensk. The Macierewicz Commission had a political role to play, says Anita Kucharska-Dziedzic, an MP from the New Left.
The fact that the subcommittee committed irregularities was even stated by the prosecutor’s office under Zbigniew Ziobro. The opinion was created in connection with Poland’s attempt to sue Russia for the Smolensk disaster. A British lawyer was to write a complaint to the European Court of Human Rights for almost a million zlotys. The current head of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs announced that he would reverse the steps because, in his opinion, the proposal had no chance of success.
Main photo source: TVN24