The President of the Supreme Audit Office, Marian Banaś, said on Friday on TVN24 that in case he was detained, he has a recording prepared “which will show certain things that have taken place”. In “One for One” on TVN24 he noted that it concerns “difficult topics for the rulers”. These words were commented on by senators who heard the information of the President of the Supreme Audit Office on the results of the Chamber’s audit in the Justice Fund. Krzysztof Brejza (KO) assessed that “most likely Marian Banaś has knowledge, the disclosure of which may lead to a shock on the political scene”.
NIK President Marian Banaś in “One for One” on TVN24 was asked if he wanted the Seym to waive his immunity, he said that “the aspect of the whole matter is wider.” – It is not about my immunity, my person or my son, it is about depriving the Supreme Audit Office of independence. To replace me with a political commissioner who will make sure that the findings and the results of the control are in line with the wishes of the government, he said.
The head of the Supreme Audit Office assessed that “the point is to remove Banas from the function, so that the Supreme Audit Office loses its independence, which is today the only mainstay of independence, democracy, freedom and the rule of law.”
– Today I may have to defend the independence of the Supreme Audit Office again, and maybe even in prison – said the head of the Chamber. Noting that he had already recorded his message and was waiting in the NIK drawer in case he was arrested, he said that “he is prepared for any eventuality, including the possibility of losing his immunity”.
“There is a message, a recording that will show some things that have taken place,” admitted Banaś. When asked what topics he revolves around, he replied “around topics difficult for the rulers.”
These words were commented on by the senators. On Friday, parliamentarians of the upper house heard the speech of the President of the Supreme Audit Office, who presented information on the audit in the Justice Fund.
Brejza: it is unofficially said to have collected information
Krzysztof Brejza (KO) assessed that “most likely Marian Banaś has knowledge, the disclosure of which may lead to a shock on the political scene”. – Unofficially, it is said that Marian Banaś collected such information while working in a treasury or in the Ministry of Finance. After all, he has been involved in various inspections for years. Various things also happened in the Ministry of Finance, disclosed by TVN, like the case of the VAT mafia – he emphasized.
– Certainly, this material has a lot of information for Ziobro and Kaczyński, so that they would also know that Marian Banaś is an “armored Banas” – he added.
Martynowski about Banasio’s words: I am calmly waiting for the continuation
Marek Martynowski, the chairman of the group of senators in the parliamentary club of Law and Justice, assessed that control in the Justice Fund “is the beginning of the entire legal path”. – These issues must now be taken up by the prosecutor’s office and other bodies that are able to take it further and verify it – he assessed.
– So far, this is the view of Marian Banas, which shows every step that you have to approach his calculations with great distance – he added. At the attention of journalists that it was the NIK auditors who conducted the inspection, Martynowski replied: “but he is the president”
– I am waiting calmly for the continuation of these conclusions and these allegations – he added.
When asked about the words of the President of the Supreme Audit Office, he replied that “we are not afraid of the recording of Marian Banas”. “We have heard many times about various things that are supposed to sink the United Right and somehow did not sink it,” he added.
Klich on the NIK report on the Justice Fund: an example of the PiS mafia state
In turn, Senator Bogdan Klich (KO) admitted that he did not know if “such a secret recording exists”. – But I know what Marian Banaś presented to us in the Senate a moment ago. This is a devastating report of the irregularities that took place at the Ministry of Justice. This is an example of the Piso octopus, such events that we hear about in various places, but which in one place, the Ministry of Justice, show the scale of injustice and failure to respect any rules, he said.
– This is an example of the PiS mafia state – he added.
Information from the President of the NIK in the Senate on the control of the Justice Fund
Marian Banaś in the Senate emphasized that the NIK audit on the Justice Fund was the first such comprehensive study covering the entire spectrum of activities of the Ministry of Justice as the administrator of this fund. The audit lasted from 1 January 2018 to 3 October 2020 and involved 39 auditors.
– The negative assessment of the Supreme Audit Office concerned primarily the tasks commissioned by the Minister of Justice as part of the Fund’s new goal, introduced in 2017, which is counteracting the causes of crime, for the implementation of which 25 percent of the total value of a targeted subsidy was granted – i.e. over PLN 170 million – he indicated. As he said, due to the lack of definition of this concept, as well as the “unreliable organization of bid competitions”, the Minister of Justice financed tasks unrelated to the objectives of the Fund and “unrelated to the enigmatic topic of counteracting crime”.
– Additionally, the minister abused the off-board method of obtaining financing. To a large extent, he commissioned the so-called research projects, which not only did not meet scientific and research standards, but their main goal turned out to be to support the statutory activities of the entities running them. Out of all 16 examined contracts, which are intended to counteract crime, NIK considered 13 contracts to be pointless and economical, informed Banaś.
Banaś about the deputy minister of justice
The President of the Supreme Audit Office also pointed out that the head of the Ministry of Justice – using the powers which he had given himself – made “undocumented, arbitrary decisions to refuse to grant a subsidy despite the indications of the competition committees”. – For example, the then director of the Department for Family and Juveniles, Mikołaj Pawlak, acting under the authority of the minister, with a handwritten annotation crossed out eight offers recommended for co-financing from the protocols drawn up by the competition committees, including two which, in the opinion of the commission, deserved the highest score – indicated Banaś. As he added, without any justification, Pawlak also abandoned the tasks related to the construction or appropriate adaptation of the so-called child-friendly interview rooms.
Banaś also referred to the deputy head of MS Marcin Romanowski, who supervised the disbursement of funds from the Fund. As he emphasized, Romanowski, as the director of the Institute of Justice, applied for funding for the project run by this institution, while already working at the Ministry of Justice. – Therefore, Mr. Romanowski represented the entity applying for a subsidy from the Fund and at the same time the body which grants such subsidy. In the light of the above, Mr. Romanowski seems to be the last person who should comment on the issues of ethics and correctness of the controllers’ actions – assessed Banaś.
According to the President of the Supreme Audit Office, the financial management of the Justice Fund was conducted in violation of the basic principles of public finance. As indicated, the Chamber sent 74 post-inspection requests in this matter, including as many as 18 to the Minister of Justice. – The Justice Fund is a dangerous example of a fund going beyond the general essence of a given special purpose fund – he assessed. In this context, Banaś also pointed out whether the formula of the state earmarked fund is not an escape from the rigors of the budget act.
Discussion in the Senate about the information of the President of the Supreme Audit Office
Questions to the president of the Supreme Chamber of Control were mainly directed by opposition senators. It was also them who took the floor in the subsequent discussion. – We see here the quintessence of the “Family on its own” program, it is the family of Solidarity Poland – assessed independent senator Krzysztof Kwiatkowski. He emphasized, however, that behind such humorous statements there is a tragedy of people who did not receive help, despite the fact that they deserved it.
– It is a shame that in Poland in the 21st century we have money to spend on marital research in Peru, and we do not have money to help a young man who, for example, leaves a shelter, so that he does not have to come back to the house where you drink and beat – he emphasized.
Also KO Senator Kazimierz Maria Ujazdowski emphasized that the results of the inspection testify not only to the Fund itself, but also to the harm it caused to victims who did not receive adequate funds. Leszek Czarnobaj (KO) regretted that so few PiS senators listened to the information from the NIK president. – I think it’s true in the eyes of the circle and hence such an attendance – he assessed.
In connection with the results of the audit, NIK submitted five notifications to the prosecutor’s office about the possibility of committing a crime. The President of the NIK also asked the Constitutional Tribunal to declare the regulation on the Justice Fund unconstitutional. The result of the inspection was also informed, inter alia, by President, Prime Minister and Deputy Prime Minister Jarosław Kaczyński and the head of the CBA.
Main photo source: PAP / Tomasz Gzell