Andrzej Duda says something about the “terror of the rule of law”, as I noticed, waving his finger and in his characteristic way assuming the mask of such a very dangerous teacher. It is tragicomic, but at the same time impudent – said Professor Wojciech Sadurski, constitutionalist, University of Sydney, University of Warsaw, in “Fakty po Faktach”.
– We are meeting in very specific circumstances – said the president Andrzej Duda during the celebration of the 150th anniversary of the birth of Wincenty Witos. – This is also a question that Wincenty Witos would probably ask, if he could physically be among us, about today’s Poland. About what is happening in Poland today – said Duda, referring to the case Mariusz Kamiński and Maciej Wąsik. – Here the MPs are locked up in prison – said the president.
– Today, ladies and gentlemen, we are dealing with the terror of the so-called rule of law – said Duda.
Sadurski: tragicomic, but at the same time impudent
The president’s words were commented on in “Fakty po Faktach” by Professor Wojciech Sadurski, constitutionalist, University of Sydney, University of Warsaw. – Andrzej Duda says something about the “terror of the rule of law”, as I noticed, waving his finger and in his characteristic way assuming the mask of such a very dangerous teacher. It is tragicomic, but at the same time impudent, he said. – After all, it was Andrzej Duda, acting as an exemplary participant in this arrangement, which had the nature of an organized criminal group, that led to this situation, and at the moment we are dealing with a very dangerous situation in which the empire is striking back, the empire of lawlessness – he continued.
As he added, “it’s not like we have dual power, as some people say.” – We have a democratically elected government with democratic credibility. On the other hand, we are dealing with putschists who want to reverse the democratic results in the street elections – he said.
– This is not something new, it is not unprecedented. This happened in Washington in January 2020, when (Donald – ed.) Trump lost. This happened in Brazil also in January 2022, when (Jair – ed.) Bolsonaro lost and this is currently happening in Poland. This is extremely, extremely dangerous and these comic, farcical images of President Duda waving his finger or wagging his finger should not disturb us in this image – he said.
Sadurski: the previous government dismantled all fuses of the rule of law
As the guest of “Facts after Facts” assessed, “for eight years the previous government dismantled all fuses of the rule of law, headed by the Constitutional Tribunal, and introduced statutory lawlessness contrary to the constitution through various institutions that were completely politicized and partisan, such as the Supreme Court, to a large extent, such as the neo-KRS, such as the National Media Council, such as the prosecutor’s office.
– And one of the forms of this statutory lawlessness was to put your own people there and then concrete their term of office in order to do what we see today, literally today on Polish streets. This means that these various PiS agents can continue to operate there and oppose the democratically elected authorities, as we can see in the prosecutor’s office, and literally barricade themselves against the democratic authorities. The state cannot give in to this, said the constitutionalist.
Sadurski: the dispute between “doves” and “hawks” in the ruling camp was resolved by PiS
As Sadurski stated, “this old dispute between the so-called ‘doves’, i.e. supporters of a gentle transition to restoring democracy, and the ‘hawks’ who believe that we should act firmly and categorically, has actually been resolved, settled by PiS, because now we see that acting using normal statutory methods, as in any normal democratic country – well, we have a bad law, we change it, is not possible.
– This would mean restoring democracy on the principles laid down by… PIS, and this is a contradiction in itself. After all, the point was that the democratic authorities that would come after PiS would be powerless, and therefore adopting their understanding of the rule of law, i.e. that all unconstitutional laws must be strictly implemented, means that none of what the current government announced would will not be implemented, so it will actually be powerless, therefore PiS will politely and gently return to power – he added.
Main photo source: PAP/Łukasz Gągulski